5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Looking to make a cheap drag foxbody

Old 04-21-2008, 09:27 PM
Dirty Sanchez
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Looking to make a cheap drag foxbody

ORIGINAL: Kordyte
How much nitrous can I put on it without GUARANTEED blowing it up?
None.....that's about the only way you're going to get that guarantee.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:43 PM
nmerrill
5th Gear Member

Just save another grand more and buy my car!! 91 gt, hci, drag suspension, set up for power adder, or large shot of nitrous, drag tires and rims, etc....
Old 04-21-2008, 09:54 PM
immr.mustang
2nd Gear Member

[sm=nxsmile.gif]
ORIGINAL: FivePointOhh

stripped stock fox...HCI, nitrous, u/l control arms and MT ET streets = low 12's high 11's at best. you aren't going to get much with 4k.
I went 10.87 with these mods....full interior convertible to boot.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:55 PM
Kordyte

Cool... well I just bought a '79 5.0, so we'll see how it works. Should I even bother thinking about a supercharger? It seems that the cams and nitrous should be enough to blow my engine already, so it wouldn't even be worth it.

It'll be stripped like nuts. How light do you think I could get it? It's strictly a track toy, so no wipers or fluids (damn, I don't even know if they had them), I might get one of the ****ty no-name racing buckets, might save a little extra too. Do I really need windows, anyway? haha

We got this one for 1000 in driving condition (my friend drove it and confirmed that).
Old 04-21-2008, 09:58 PM
kweb288
5th Gear Member

dont go s/c if your trying to stick to a 3-4k budget, just do nitrouse, heads cam intake, trans, rearend, susupension. that might put you a little over budgetbut that will make you go pretty quick
Old 04-21-2008, 10:03 PM
stang8689
6th Gear Member

Go 460, can get them cheap and can handle more nos
Old 04-21-2008, 10:04 PM
immr.mustang
2nd Gear Member

there are a lot of proven combos, but trying to do it on the cheap will def take some time for thrifty shopping. It is very feasable, and you should be able to get the weight down to around 2700 stripping it down. That weight and a stock motor with a 225 shot should put you into the 11's by itself. Just be sure you have forged pistons in urblock.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:10 PM
Dirty Sanchez
3rd Gear Member

I wouldn't put heads, cam or intake on it. If you're going out knowing you may blow it up, why waste money on those parts, and potentially take them out when the block gives up the ghost, or the nitrous backfires and destroys your new intake?

Buy a spool, some 33-spline axles, slicks, weld the torque boxes up, and spray its ***** off. I keep getting this sinking feeling that you're not very experienced with Nitrous, or higher horsepower drag cars, so spend the rest of the money on a cage, a fire suit, helmet, neck brace, harnesses and a fire extinguisher.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:18 PM
Kordyte

You're right, I don't know a damn thing about them, and I'll admit it. That's why I'm asking you guys, heh. Coming from my bolt-on Evo, I know that when you modify cars, **** breaks, end of story more or less. Just want to find the best combination for us.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:43 PM
Kordyte

Okay, we have our '79 5.0 Mustang, and it'll be stripped. What will make us the fastest for $1000-1500?

-Tires of course
-H, C, I?
-Headers?
-Nitrous(how big)?

reinforcement items such as:
rear end, tranny, axles, clutch, pistons, rods (sounding like it's getting really way too expensive by this point!!!)

Doing specific product research:
I'm finding alphabet-303 cams for ~$200, GT-40 heads for $300-$400, 125hp NOS system for $450, Good tires for ~$200(we know a guy), headers for ~$100. Sound about right? How fast would that get us?

Thanks guys, I'm doing a lot of research in the meantime

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking to make a cheap drag foxbody