MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-general-discussion-87/)
-   -   May be going to the track for the first time (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-general-discussion/439229-may-be-going-to-the-track-for-the-first-time.html)

Shelty 04-29-2008 12:26 AM

May be going to the track for the first time

hey all, on may 10th I may be going to the track with a bunch of other mustangs....

never been there before

anyone have any pointers on how to prepare for the day? like what to check on my car, what to bring etc.

I will be running on street tires in my vert.

I can prolly borrow a helmet so I may have that covered.

anything I would need to have out of the car/fasten down etc?

Hollister Hoodlum 04-29-2008 12:28 AM

RE: May be going to the track for the first time

goodluck. never been either

OnyxCobra 04-29-2008 12:47 AM

I'd check and make sure all the fluids are filled. If you pre-stage first it's stage curtesy to let the other guy pre-stage also before you fully stage. Since you're running street tires go around the water box and give the tires a quick spin to clean them off, do not do a big smokey burnout as it will only hurt your traction. You'll have to experiment with your launching (if your car is manual) but in my experience its better to bog then to spin a lot off the line. If your 60' sucks your ET will suck so try to get your launch down. When the tree starts coming down go on the last yellow, if you wait for the green light to go you will be way behind off the line.

Shelty 04-29-2008 12:57 AM

ORIGINAL: OnyxCobra

I'd check and make sure all the fluids are filled. If you pre-stage first it's stage curtesy to let the other guy pre-stage also before you fully stage. Since you're running street tires go around the water box and give the tires a quick spin to clean them off, do not do a big smokey burnout as it will only hurt your traction. You'll have to experiment with your launching (if your car is manual) but in my experience its better to bog then to spin a lot off the line. If your 60' sucks your ET will suck so try to get your launch down. When the tree starts coming down go on the last yellow, if you wait for the green light to go you will be way behind off the line.

thanks for the tips Onyx

I'm thinking of launching at 1500-2,000 RPM, cuz I dont have crazy bolt ons and I really dont wanna kill the car, as its my only ride... but 35 bucks for 4 hours, should be able to get several passes in, start off slow, let her cool down, then try for the best time...

Hollister Hoodlum 04-29-2008 02:36 AM

I want to see your track times posted when this happens. :D

jjw88mustang 04-29-2008 03:27 AM

the places i have been to the battery needed to be held down i just bought a $10 deal from advanceand you wont need a helmet unless you are in the 13's but if you have one never hurts to wear it...good luck

stang8689 04-29-2008 06:13 AM

Start out launching low and work your way up, try to drive it out the hole

mjr46 04-29-2008 07:16 AM

dang you've never been??? run what you brung and go on the third yellow!!!!:D

AdderMk2 04-29-2008 07:55 AM

ORIGINAL: jjw88mustang

the places i have been to the battery needed to be held down i just bought a $10 deal from advanceand you wont need a helmet unless you are in the 13's but if you have one never hurts to wear it...good luck

he has a vert.... he needs one just to get INTO the track

FivePointOhh 04-29-2008 09:20 AM

have fun! like stated above, clean off your tires, launch low and work your way up. i also agree with onyx, bogging down seems to do a bit better than spinning your tires. you'll get it figured out in 4 hours.