5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

kenne bell supercharger on 90lx

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 12:58 AM
94 G STANG
2nd Gear Member

Default kenne bell supercharger on 90lx

found a 90 lx 5.0 vert with a ken belle s/c, ive never seen them on a 5.0
the car has a blown headgasket and im not sure if the s/c is any good either. Does anyone have more info onthese superchargersgood bad ugly?
Old 05-02-2008, 02:04 AM
FuzzyDiceRule
5th Gear Member

Default RE: kenne bell supercharger on 90lx

Teh Blowzilla, theyre meant for stock motors, and with underdrives, push about 9 psi, i want one, the whine is sick, should be pushing about 350 through a stock motor too
Old 05-02-2008, 08:01 AM
apedosmil
1st Gear Member

Pointless. I agree they sound sick and you should search videos on youtube of them, there are a bunch, but the power band is totally off for a twin screw. The original idea behind the kenne bell was for pick ups and towing heavy stuff so you get a cool pull like your in first gear when you hammer in every gear, which if you have stock suspension and race tires means your gonna chirp into every gear and not put any power to the road, also if you ever lined up next to a centri blown car their boost starts at about 2500rpms and then pushes harder as it spools more so your actually boosting harder the further into the rpms, then it drops off as your rpms come down into the next shift which allows for it to build up. Their really expenisve compared to centrifugal blowers too. If you're going into a s/c I say procharger or paxton ftw. Just an example my buddy bought a baby blue 90lx notch with everything in excellent condition inside and out with a paxton novi in it (forget which type)and he paid 6800 for it. The car is gorgeous and tears *** like you wouldn't believe.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:07 AM
Mustangkiler
5th Gear Member

Whats the matter ape, you dont want to add another 2.2 liters to your 5? Id rather have full boost all through the whole powerband, a dyno sheet thats flat not just with a high peak number, and sticky tires and good suspension solves the traction problem.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:02 AM
Hollister Hoodlum
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: apedosmil

Pointless. I agree they sound sick and you should search videos on youtube of them, there are a bunch, but the power band is totally off for a twin screw. The original idea behind the kenne bell was for pick ups and towing heavy stuff so you get a cool pull like your in first gear when you hammer in every gear, which if you have stock suspension and race tires means your gonna chirp into every gear and not put any power to the road, also if you ever lined up next to a centri blown car their boost starts at about 2500rpms and then pushes harder as it spools more so your actually boosting harder the further into the rpms, then it drops off as your rpms come down into the next shift which allows for it to build up. Their really expenisve compared to centrifugal blowers too. If you're going into a s/c I say procharger or paxton ftw. Just an example my buddy bought a baby blue 90lx notch with everything in excellent condition inside and out with a paxton novi in it (forget which type)and he paid 6800 for it. The car is gorgeous and tears *** like you wouldn't believe.
Okay, i dont know dick about superchargers, but correct me if im wrong, but a supercharger shouldn't take time to build boost? i have no idea... but that would be like turbo lag??! wtf... i don't know.. is this true?

My friends procharged roush clone sure has no delay in building boost YOu hammer it and you can deff hear that supercharger.

Can somebody clear this up for me please? i just figured a supercharger would spool up fast, since its belt driven?
Old 05-02-2008, 09:23 AM
Streetracer911
3rd Gear Member

twin screw style blowers make more power off the line/lower rpm

Centrifugal blowers make more power in the higher rpms

(thanks for that catch there r.barn)
Old 05-02-2008, 09:28 AM
Hollister Hoodlum
4th Gear Member

i see
Old 05-02-2008, 10:54 AM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

KB is not a roots blower ....... its a twin screw ........ there is a difference.

Some KB's are good.
The newers are nicer, the older ones are a bit small and not as good.

2.2 KB = good
1.5 KB = not as good.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:17 PM
ponyboy88
3rd Gear Member

id kill for a kb (and a new motor without 120k on it)
Old 05-02-2008, 09:05 PM
94 G STANG
2nd Gear Member

im sure its not the newer kinds but im hoping it will haul A$$, it works off the serpentine of the car and the part that I like is its your intake also it bolts right on to your stock lower. Arent these better than lets say the ones that are like another accessory like an a/c comp. etc?

Quick Reply: kenne bell supercharger on 90lx