5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Buying a Foxbody - What to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 12:33 PM
JimmyKragen
1st Gear Member

Default Buying a Foxbody - What to look for?

Hi everyone,

I've always wanted a nice 5.0 fox body and now I'm the position where I can (finally) buy one. I'm looking for something decent, nothing too crazy. Something between 5-10k. Part of the fun is building it up the way I want it to be, I don't mind doing the work. Just wondering if you have any tips on what to look for, general problems, common rust spots, things like that. I'd appreciate any help. Look forward to spending some more time in here soon.

Oh, I'll be selling my 03 v6 if anyone is interested. Thanks!

- Jimmy
Old 05-05-2008, 12:40 PM
RoadsterRider
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Buying a Foxbody - What to look for?

5-10k is a lot to spend on a fox IMO. But then again, I'm a cheap bastard, so I waited until I found one for 900 bucks.

Are you looking for a notch or a hatch, if hatch, GT or LX?
Old 05-05-2008, 12:53 PM
TI302
2nd Gear Member

a $5-10k fox should pretty much be able to sell itsself. common rust is floors and hatch/trunk though

you looking for something basically low miles / orginal, or something halfway built. you have a lot of options in your price range
Old 05-05-2008, 12:55 PM
Hollister Hoodlum
4th Gear Member

look at the bottom of the doors from the inside for rust... i never checked there.... BIG MISTAKE FOR ME!

Old 05-05-2008, 01:30 PM
JimmyKragen
1st Gear Member

I'd prefer a notch, but they're a little harder to come by. Wouldn't mind a vert or a GT hatch though. It's more about color in the different styles than anything. I'm willing to fix up anything mechanically, but I'd rather not have to paint the car.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:42 PM
nseoi
4th Gear Member

LOOK FOR A STRAIGHT BODY!!! faded paint is fine as long as its ORIGINAL PAINT. dealer pinstripes (not racing stripes) are a good marker or original paint (not always)

get on your back and look under the car and look for a clean undercarriage

look for solid quarter panels, fenders are not as important cause they can be easily swapped if needed. if the body is in good condition the engine usually follows. get one as stock as possible so you avoid beastly electrical problems that might arrise from ghetto-rigging
Old 05-05-2008, 01:45 PM
MustangMan628
2nd Gear Member

ALWAYS check the rear quarters if you're buyin one that's built. They tend to wrinkle along the profile a little from heavy HP launches. I always take the car to a nice flat parking lot to see how nice it sits and if all the body panels line up, but i'm a pain in the @ss when I buy cars, especially in the 5-10K range and never let anyone try and sell me a project bigger than what i'm looking for. It's easy to miss simple things like that especially if the paint is really nice. You can always buy my car, she's pretty well on her way and quick for a daily driver. https://mustangforums.com/m_4652582/tm.htm
Old 05-05-2008, 07:45 PM
5.0muscle
2nd Gear Member

check that body in good light. you can miss a lot in poor light.dont forget tocheck the oil and underside for leaks. ps: this is no secret, check everything, electric windows, heater, a/c, lights, wipers, horn. anything you find that doesnt work can work in your favor*(even if you dont care about a/c or wipers).
Old 05-05-2008, 08:33 PM
stang8689
6th Gear Member

Buy something already nice for no more than 5k then put the other 5k into it
Old 05-05-2008, 11:05 PM
x1n54n3x
1st Gear Member

carfax that b just in case too...check the rear quarter panels (arent really quarter panels cause its unibody, but you know where im talking about) for seams- thatll tell you whether its been replaced cause you need to cut the sheet metal to replace it. little hard to notice so be in good light. usually people are pretty honest but theres always shady characters

Quick Reply: Buying a Foxbody - What to look for?