5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

New member signing on...

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 09:04 PM
Project 5.GO!
2nd Gear Member

Default New member signing on...

Hi all!

Long-time lurker here, just never got the urge to go through the registration hooplah... You know, you get lazy!! I've had my Mustang for about 13 years now, and never seemed to have enough money or knowledge to really rip into it. As it stands now, its a (manual transmission, of course) white '89 GT (hooray for EFI and mass air!) with not a whole lot done to it. It has the obligatory K&N filter, and it recently got the Taurus/DC Control/Hi-po alternator treatment. The car is running as well as can be expected with 295,000 miles on it. I knew for a while now that it was either a rebuild or new engine on the horizon for it, and when I started visiting mechanics, the price-tag for a rebuild (not dumb enough to try it myself) was ashock to the system, which made me think. Why should I put that much money into the car to end up with a reworked engine with just as much power as before the rebuild? I started checking around a little and finding reasonably-priced longblocks that are running higher numbers than stock, and I started getting the idea to go ahead and kick it up a notch. I just put a down-payment on a crate engine from D&D Motorsports, specifically the 425 HP Comp Hawk. That should be an upgrate I can feel, right? Dave at D&D told me that to get the 425 ponies out of the engine I had to go with a 70mm throttle body, 76mm MAF with 30# injectors, and a Holley Systemax intake. Anyone have any other ideas that might make this victory that much sweeter, or anything Dave might have left out? The car will be exclusively driven on the street, and will likely not make it to the track for a while. Is the Holley the right intake for the job? I was under the impression that it made it's power after 2000 rpm, and I know the Edelbrock Performer starts right off idle. Anyone have any better ideas?
Old 05-08-2008, 09:14 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: New member signing on...

dave told you that did he???....... anyway on a 347 the performer is not the way to do.. the systemax will be fine or an rpm II
Old 05-08-2008, 09:57 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

don't let them slap an OTS cam in it. Call Jay Allen at Camshaft Innovations. Tell him everything that is going on the motor... let HIM make some suggestions, and have him custom grind a cam that is directly tailored to YOUR motor... ESPECIALLY since you are going to be driving it on the street
Old 05-09-2008, 10:06 AM
Project 5.GO!
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, he told me that he always got the best numbers on the Systemax, but I guess I never listen to the first person that tells me to do something... I needed to have a couple people chime in and confirm it because I'm going to be driving it, and there is nothing quite like thinking "If I only had done this instead..." I don't know if it would be enough to make me cry about lost opportunities as I got pushed back in the seat with enough force to injure my internal organs, but it might have an effect. Are there any other supporting parts you can think of that I might need in preparation for the motor?
Old 05-09-2008, 10:26 AM
Project 5.GO!
2nd Gear Member

I am not the most advanced technologically speaking as it relates to engines. My knowledge is limited to theory. I know what the cam does, but not how one could make a difference from another. Is OTS the brand name, or a type of cam? If I'm talking custom grinding here, I think that's going to start pushing this out of budget. At least Dave is letting me make payments along the way as they are building the engine, and I already had to spring for an oil pan and timing cover so the engine could arrive sealed so as not to have anything fall into it as I was saving to have someone throw it into the car, not to mention during installation. [:'(]
Old 05-09-2008, 10:39 AM
blwn93gt
3rd Gear Member

OTS= Off The Shelf. You'll get more performance out of a custom grind for your application.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:41 AM
Chadwick86
2nd Gear Member

What Adder was sayin' is Off The Shelf (ots). A custome cam would be the ticket for you because you want max power (I think everyone does... lol). It should be more, but the effect will be greater in pulling the most ponies out of the beast. Adder and mjr46 are quite the information holders (its awesomenessssss!!!) so keep on these guys and they should be able more than willing to help you out. I hope I wasn't a waste of thead'ski. Have fun on the build!

F!!!! I was too late!!! lol<<<<<edit
Old 05-09-2008, 10:45 AM
Project 5.GO!
2nd Gear Member

Hey MJR46, the engine is a 327, not a 347. Not like it matters much, because all I want to get in the end is a 550 HP daily driver (yeah, DAILY!). Meaning that I could comfortably drive my wife and kids to the movies without rocking and rolling all over the place when I'm idling at a light... I want the car to have manners,but be able to throw down on a Corvette if I wanted to take it to the track. The best of both worlds! [sm=teetertooter.gif]With alittle bit of laughing gas (cheap!) or a supercharger (expensive!) that engine should be able to get me there. Then, all I have to worry about is saving a billion dollars to pop a TKO tranny and some traction in it! [>:]
Old 05-09-2008, 12:17 PM
Project 5.GO!
2nd Gear Member

Ok, I get the difference there. If I eventually want to put in a supercharger or juice, would that change the dynamics? Would I have to get that cam changed, or would I just have to get a chip made and tuning?
Old 05-09-2008, 01:18 PM
nseoi
4th Gear Member

a different cam would control the valves differently, this relates to RPM more than anything. if you are told to get a holley systemax intake then i would assume you would need a cam for a high revving engine. thats y its best to let the pro's tell you what kinda cam you need to have custom made since the parts are mix-mitched (as opposed to a kit like trickflow)

Quick Reply: New member signing on...