5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Perfect street build on a 10k budjet.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 11:37 AM
raw3836
1st Gear Member

Default Perfect street build on a 10k budjet.

Alright, so let me start off by saying I currently have a paxton supercharged 91 vert. It's a 306 featuring Holley Heads, Holley systemax U and L intake, SN95 Paxton supercharger pushing 8 PSI, e303 cam,msd 6al, 3:73's, a semi-built AOD, BBK shorties, Offroad H-pipe, and flowmaster dumps. Interior is gutted to a two seater, and has all the fancy gauges and a BM Hammer shifter. The car sits on mickey thompson street radials and 17 inch white cobras. I built this car for over a year, and I thought it was fun. I have recently become bored of it and i plan on giving it to my father for his 41st birthday. So i ask the question, what should my next build be?

I plan on picking up a 5.0 hatch or notch within the next few months and tearing it apart. I just need some idea's on what the build should consist of. I have about 10k to spend over the next few months on building the perfect street car. I would love to keep the 302 based block in the car, and maybe put in a stroker with a supercharger? Idk.. any ideas would be awesome. Thanks.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:47 AM
QatarStang
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Perfect street build on a 10k budjet.

10k including car or just parts?

I'd build a handling machine with good straight line performance. Maybe a notch with a maximum motorsports handling package thrown on and a cheap turbo or paxton thrown on to get around 350-380ish RWHP. Fast enough to be fun at the track, but handles well enough so you can have fun on the road without pissing off Johnny Law
Old 05-21-2008, 12:51 PM
white02stallion

if i had 10 grand it would be made into a bad ace street/strip machine/ supra slayer!!! def do suspension work first, theres nothing better then a fox body that can out handle other street machines 10 grand can get you pretty far to, definitly stroke 331or347 with a small blower or turbo, blowers are less expensive and easier to maintane, i do it like me 331 all forged, procharger or vortec self oiled and a set of afr 205cc heads ull own ur town once again
Old 05-21-2008, 06:51 PM
RODRIGUEZ
3rd Gear Member

Definetly go for the notch, they are beggining to be more rare and people rather pay more money for those then they would for a hatch, just in case you choose to sell it in the future.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:18 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

hmmmmm your dad is 41 so that must make you under 20......so your just giving your dad back what he paid for anyway[&:].....and 10 more grand?? save it for a down payment on a house..you'll need it..but if you are doing another build ..go 347
Old 05-21-2008, 09:01 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mjr46

hmmmmm your dad is 41 so that must make you under 20......so your just giving your dad back what he paid for anyway[&:].....and 10 more grand?? save it for a down payment on a house..you'll need it..but if you are doing another build ..go 347
my dads 56 but i'm not 36. im only 18. one of my coworkers is 35 and his kid is turning 21. so ur logic isn't always right

but with 10 grand i'd build an all forged 347 with a boss or dart block and a 150ish shot of nos, then spend the rest on all suspension to make it a straight line terror, that isn't affraid of the curves. then when you come into more money slap on the biggest kb/turbo the motor can take and terrorize the full drag cars at the track, then drive it home
Old 05-21-2008, 09:59 PM
5spd GT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mjr46

hmmmmm your dad is 41 so that must make you under 20......so your just giving your dad back what he paid for anyway
Better than nothing at all.

To the OP, good luck with your build. I am sure your father will enjoy it.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:55 PM
raw3836
1st Gear Member

im actually 20. ive been saving up working at restaurants the past 2 years to build the current convertible i have. my father had nothing to do with the money aspect, he has just been a ford mechanic for over 20 years. anyway, i was thinking of doing a 331 stroker with a DSS block. What kind of heads/cam/intake manifold/ etc should i get? Im pretty sure im gonna do a vortech S-trim.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:08 PM
mighty90
2nd Gear Member

Since you said you were bored with the last one, whats to say it won't happen again. I'm gonna be the devils advicate here and suggest something waaaay different. All you ford fanatics, just take a breath.. its ok to like more than ford. Here we go. Find a 1988 pontiac fiero and drop a gm 3.6 liter supercharged engine into it (pontiac grand prix gtp engine). The car already has incredible handling, it just lacks power. The car can cost up to 3 grand, the engine installation is about 4 grand. Other mods (rims, resto, tires) probably cost around 3 grand. You'll have a unique american car that can out turn, accelerate and brake most corvettes, camaro's, mustangs, and imports annnnnnd you'll get the "holy sh*t" looks and comments.

See pics below for inspiration.

Flamers, FLAME ON!

Old 05-22-2008, 09:03 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

My next ride WILL be a Miata

Quick Reply: Perfect street build on a 10k budjet.