5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Ebay Alternator, Opinions Needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 01:18 AM
BlessedHellride
4th Gear Member

Default Ebay Alternator, Opinions Needed

I am thinking of purchasing and using this Altenator on my project. Anyone ever use one like this before? I have a butt load of chevy guys I know that use them on their drag/circle track cars and they love the simplicity of them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/87-93...spagenameZWDVW
Old 05-24-2008, 01:54 AM
RRyder01
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Ebay Alternator, Opinions Needed

I just installed a 3g 130amp smallcase alt. that I got from corral. It's awesome and came with everything needed for install and didn't require bracket mod. I'm not sure what the difference between the one-wire and the other is though.
Old 05-24-2008, 09:34 AM
stang8689
6th Gear Member

Thats a 2g upgrade I would look for a straight 3g
Old 05-24-2008, 10:58 AM
RRyder01
1st Gear Member

This is the one I got

http://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=984252
Old 05-24-2008, 03:26 PM
BlessedHellride
4th Gear Member

My delima is that I was wanting to run with the factory wiring harness of my 4cyl body. I don't know if the V8 Alternators of the same year have the same plug in as my car body. It's an 88 by the way. My wiring harness doesn't have enough length on it to reach the passenger side of the engine to mount an alternator over there and still utilize the factory harness [:'(]. All the ford/mustang guys around my house have no input on this matter because they all have just had V8 factory cars . This is why I was kinda looking into a one wire alternator set up with a built in regulator if I couldn't get a 100amp or so from the parts house to fit on the left side of the engine. If anyone knows for sure or not on which alternator I can use to do this, I would greatly appreciate any ideas and info. Thanks

This is the kinda problems I have been dealing with along this build. Alot of making things work out because I can't just call up a parts house and get an off the shelf part according to year model. It has been a lot of trial and error fitment issues. I have been chosen as the Ginnie Pig on this build as far as the guys around the house are concerned. Alot of them have been coming to me for ideas of what to and what not to do and I have been able to help them down the right path for the most part. I'm just getting burned out on spending money and still not driving it. I'm above 9K according to my wife.
Old 05-24-2008, 03:45 PM
BlessedHellride
4th Gear Member

What's the big problem with an upgraded 2G and just buying a 3G. Just to let everyone know. My car will have very minimal electrical use, just enough to pass state inspection. No radio or any junk like that. Just MSD 6AL,electric raditor fan,tail lights, turn signals, head lights. Just general stuff like that. I will have to run the wipers, just to pass inspection, but the car won't bedriven in the rain unless I'm caught out in it. The Alt. in the ebay link I provided is 130amp, I figured that would be plenty.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:58 AM
bighungrymatt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RRyder01

This is the one I got

http://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=984252
looks like a good deal!
Old 05-26-2008, 06:49 PM
BlessedHellride
4th Gear Member

Can anyone tell me what the difference is or the con's of getting an upgraded 2G to a 3G. They have some good looking 1 wire alternators on Ebay for around $100 give or take shipped. I really need to get this thing ordered so I can get the front of my engine dressed out. That's all I got left to do is hang an altenator and figure out what belt length I will need.

One more question, I know it's been asked before, but what direction is the 88 model water pump supposed to turn? Clockwise or Counter Clockwise?
Old 05-26-2008, 06:56 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

It is a reverse rotation, so counter clockwise.

As far as the alternator....can't help ya, but I am sure either will work fine for you.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:20 PM
BlessedHellride
4th Gear Member

Thanks Kyle, I am just tired of do this and do that kinda opinions from guys around the house while I'm trying not to spend a bunch of money just chasing ideas. I have made my mind up that I'm just going to put a 1 wire on there and da hell with the rest of it. I will order it tonight so I can go ahead and have it on the way. I should have it running by this coming weekend or at the first of next week at the latest. I wanna burn dem damm tires I bought from you before I go back to work.

Quick Reply: Ebay Alternator, Opinions Needed