5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

rod in oil pump

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 06:03 PM
jonnysubmarine_USN
1st Gear Member

Default rod in oil pump

does the rod that goes in to the oil punp go to anything in the block or is it just for priming the pump. i am having issues putting my punmp back in.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:29 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

Default RE: rod in oil pump

the rod that goes into the pump connects to the bottom of the dizzy
Old 07-02-2008, 07:32 PM
monkeyboy
2nd Gear Member

It's very important. That shaft runs from the bottom of the distribitor to your oil pump. It's what spins the internal parts in the oil pump. It's a pain to get it in the bottom of the dist. sometimes. I'd put the shaft in the pump first and try and turn it as it's hitting whatever it bottoms out on when you stick it back up in the motor. It should go back in. But you definately need it. Or your oil pump will not work. If you don't understand.... Go buy a Haynes or Chilton manual on the car. It will guide you thru it.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:49 PM
jonnysubmarine_USN
1st Gear Member

thanks. i have a haynes manual but in the oil pump section it doesnt say much about the rod. is there a section that i could look it up i donthave my manual on me. so is it possible to connect the shaft to the distributer and do it that way.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:00 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

if you fail to put rod back in.. you won't have oil pressure the cam drives the dizzy and in turn the dizzy drives the shaft which drives the pump
Old 07-02-2008, 09:12 PM
jonnysubmarine_USN
1st Gear Member

so does the rod go right in to the distributor or does it go to something else. and if it does go to the distributor directly can i put it in from the top and then line the pump up.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:15 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

no..must go in from the bottom... there should be a little retaining wheel on the rod.....because if you fail to put the retaining wheel on or in the right spot... then when the dizzy is pulled you risk the chance of lifting rod up and dropping it into the pan
Old 07-03-2008, 09:50 AM
jonnysubmarine_USN
1st Gear Member

do you know where the spot is, i am having trouble finding the spot. so the wheel goes up twards the block then?
Old 07-03-2008, 09:59 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

yes correct and once I have it installed the wheel needs to be positioned to where the shaft won't come out with pump installed = mocked up and so the wheel isn't rubbing underside of shaft channel on block
Old 07-03-2008, 02:47 PM
FuzzyDiceRule
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mjr46

no..must go in from the bottom... there should be a little retaining wheel on the rod.....because if you fail to put the retaining wheel on or in the right spot... then when the dizzy is pulled you risk the chance of lifting rod up and dropping it into the pan
haha, i know this feeling well

lets just say back when we were car noobs, our neigbor pulled the dizzy on the mach, and the pump shaft pulled out, and he was like WTF? and without thinking dropped it back it, and we heard clunk, needless to say he was embarrassed and we spent the better part of that day fishing it out of the pan

Quick Reply: rod in oil pump