5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Running rich

Old 07-20-2008, 11:19 AM
Actjs19

Default Running rich

hello i just posted about my car smoking but it not being oil or coolant. i found out it is deff fuel so im running very rich. the car runs great as long as i keep the idle at about 1,300 rpm ill have great power and responce but once i let it fall under that to about 800it will smoke again because its loading up on fuel. i heard it can be many things but does anyone know or think they might know why the car would load up so much at idle. no vac leaks that i know of i had a ford mechanic of 20+ years check and still not know exaclly what it would be he had a list of 15 things that could do it. the orginal problem i had was when i droped the motor in i didnt hook up the red wire for the main computer (DUHHH) but even after hooking that up some minor isssues went away but still dumping fuel. i took the car out fri and sat night to deer park ave of course got on it a bit but mostly cruised still didnt change anything. i though driving it would make the computer work the bugs out but nothing. if i put the idle on the throttle body back to normal the car will hunt for a good idle but not offten, it will idle about 1,100- 1,400 rpm no smoke but then kick down to 800 and smoke again untill i touch the gas and burn some fuel than it will raise and the smoke will stop. im looking into getting a new TPS and i already cleaned the IAC/changed with my buddies that works fine, no change. i hope the TPS is doing it because i had heard a few people have these issues with the fuel dumping and it ends up being the tps so wish me luck and if anyone has anything to add please please feel free thank you - tom
Old 07-20-2008, 11:56 AM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Running rich

I wouldn't replace any parts till you run your codes/get them read. It could be something as simple as a dirty ACT, messed up timming.

I would think running rich at idle would be more of a bad regulator or something.