15.25@90.5 - MustangForums.com


5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-25-2008, 07:30 AM   #1  
Slo5oh
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ
Posts: 1,206

I Took my car to atco last night for laughs. Wanted to see what it would run. Best of four runs; 15.25/92.3 mph./2.24 60.I figgure thats on par since the car is stock and that was my first time racing a manual. I did notice something wierd though, a shudder. The car has a remarkable shudder when i floor it but seems to disapear at 4k-4500 in second gear. I was thinking possably flywheel? Also when I shift there is a clunk noise that comes from the rear. U joints?

also, any of you fellas that have slow cars like me, do you go through the traps in third or quick shift into 4th? I went 15.25 when i shifted into 4th, but my mph was asmost 2 lower than when i sailed through in third, though that was a 15.45 run. Another factor was on the 15.25 run I had a 60 that was about a half a tenth quicker.
Slo5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 08:17 AM   #2  
AdderMk2
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lil' Rhody
Posts: 22,376

when I had a stock drivetrain, I was faster through the traps in 3rd than 4th

AdderMk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 08:55 AM   #3  
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK
 
mjr46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 30,802

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Slo5oh

I Took my car to atco last night for laughs. Wanted to see what it would run. Best of four runs; 15.25/92.3 mph./2.24 60.I figgure thats on par since the car is stock and that was my first time racing a manual. I did notice something wierd though, a shudder. The car has a remarkable shudder when i floor it but seems to disapear at 4k-4500 in second gear. I was thinking possably flywheel? Also when I shift there is a clunk noise that comes from the rear. U joints?

also, any of you fellas that have slow cars like me, do you go through the traps in third or quick shift into 4th? I went 15.25 when i shifted into 4th, but my mph was asmost 2 lower than when i sailed through in third, though that was a 15.45 run. Another factor was on the 15.25 run I had a 60 that was about a half a tenth quicker.
man that is one slo 5.0......as for the shudder....check your trans mount make sure it's not broken as well as the motor mounts..then check the u-joins at yoke end and at flange end for any play
mjr46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:20 AM   #4  
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member
 
93 LX FiveO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Haverhill, MA
Posts: 3,664

the shudder was probably from letting the clutch out too soon

my 5.0 has only ran 15's but i have excuses lol
93 LX FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 12:38 PM   #5  
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports
 
projectresto83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Indiana
Posts: 8,011

At least your name fits for now
projectresto83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 01:44 PM   #6  
Slo5oh
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ
Posts: 1,206

Quote:
ORIGINAL: mjr46

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Slo5oh

I Took my car to atco last night for laughs. Wanted to see what it would run. Best of four runs; 15.25/92.3 mph./2.24 60.I figgure thats on par since the car is stock and that was my first time racing a manual. I did notice something wierd though, a shudder. The car has a remarkable shudder when i floor it but seems to disapear at 4k-4500 in second gear. I was thinking possably flywheel? Also when I shift there is a clunk noise that comes from the rear. U joints?

also, any of you fellas that have slow cars like me, do you go through the traps in third or quick shift into 4th? I went 15.25 when i shifted into 4th, but my mph was asmost 2 lower than when i sailed through in third, though that was a 15.45 run. Another factor was on the 15.25 run I had a 60 that was about a half a tenth quicker.
man that is one slo 5.0......as for the shudder....check your trans mount make sure it's not broken as well as the motor mounts..then check the u-joins at yoke end and at flange end for any play
I got the car to save gas, so Im happy. My mounts are all good considering I put new poly mounts in less than 2 weeks ago. I may not have tightened everything down all that well so Ill check that next week while Im replacing shocks and adding subframes. If the U joints have a propencity for creating the shudder Ill probably replace them because I have a clunking when I shift, that comes from the rear, so possibly kill all the problems with changing them out. Might just get an aluminumshaft while im at it eh?

Slo5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 01:58 PM   #7  
Explosive
Moderator
 
Explosive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,257

Get a supercharger [8D]
Explosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 02:06 PM   #8  
Gary H
4th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Chandler, Az
Posts: 1,080

Might take a look at the control arm bushings too. Poly mounts will transmit alot more vibration. Is the whole car shaking, or just the shifter?
Gary H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 02:46 PM   #9  
Slo5oh
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ
Posts: 1,206

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Gary H

Might take a look at the control arm bushings too. Poly mounts will transmit alot more vibration. Is the whole car shaking, or just the shifter?
Its just comming thrrough the drivetrain.
Slo5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 06:28 PM   #10  
OneFine89Mustang
4th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location:
Posts: 1,410

how is your 5.0 saving gas?...it is a v8 what did you drive before?
OneFine89Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sterling Gray paint kit from Paintscratch.com wcgman Parts For Sale 0 08-18-2012 05:17 PM
Fun with iphone and "Bosch Light Em' Up App! musnicki Classic Mustang General Discussion 11 02-23-2011 02:54 AM
Wear your seatbelt, stupid redass02gt Off Topic 36 04-06-2009 11:44 PM
Octane vs. timing advance ... is there a formula? dmhines 4.0L V6 Technical Discussions 7 10-19-2007 12:29 PM
Mustang week-Darlington Int. Dragstrip mustdroptop Street/Strip 0 07-31-2007 01:05 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:21 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.