5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

BBK H-Pipe Is Junk and Customer Service Sucks

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 11:42 PM
50GT
1st Gear Member

Default BBK H-Pipe Is Junk and Customer Service Sucks

*I ordered a BBK H-pipe and it was nothing but problems, here are the emails I sent the company and their responses. I will never by another product from them.*** To whom it may concern, I ordered a BBK off road h-pipe for my 1990 Ford Mustang GT part number BBK-1507. The part was ordered from Late Model Restoration. When I received the part it looked like it would be an easy bolt on part. I was able to get it put on in about two hours and everything looked good, but when started the car up it had a major exhaust leak on the drivers side collector where the h-pipe bolted up. I spent two days unbolting and repositioning the h-pipe in an attempt to make it stop leaking. I finally gave up and took it to a shop and had them look at it. The tech at the shop had to cut and re-weld the drivers side pipe so that it would line up correctly with the collector on the header. The cross member also had to be cut and re-welded so that it would line up. The tech said it was the sloppiest made h-pipe he had ever seen. There was no way I or anyone else would have ever been able to bolt this h-pipe up. I was lucky and the tech only charged me 70 dollars to fix the pipe. I am very upset with the quality of your product. I would have sent it back to Late Model Restoration and put the stock h-pipe back on but it had to be cut in order to remove it. I could have bought the h-pipe for less from a different manufacturer, but thought your product would have been made with a higher quality so I was willing to pay a little more. I have included pictures of where the pipe had to be cut and re-welded. I don't know if there is anything you can do at this point, but if not you have lost a customer. Thank you for your attention in this matter.

Hello Michael,

I do apologize for your troubles with the install and thank you for bringing this to our attention, it is certainly not our goal to ship our valued customers such a product as you describe. I have forwarded your email to the tech department for further insight to the situation. Mr. Roberts

Sorry to hear that you ran into fitment issues with the BBK pipe.

I’m not sure how or why you would encounter such issues when our pipes are made in a jig, but I suppose anything can happen.

Unfortunately, our warranty does not cover items that have been modified, or costs incurred during installation.

The pipe should have been warranted immediately upon discovering that there were problems.

Again, I apologize for any trouble you’ve faced with this product.

If you decide to purchase a BBK product again in the future, please feel free to contact me directly with any warranty issues you may have.

Warranty Guidelines -

http://www.bbkperformance.com/custom...view.php?qk=26

Bryan Rogers

Technical Support

Bryan, Your warranty is terrible. How was I going to send this part back to you, my mustang is a daily driver. I should have sent the H-pipe back and waited on you to tell me there is something wrong with it and during that time not had a vehicle to drive. The part was going on a stock 1990 mustang and your description of the part states it is a direct bolt on. "ALL BBK full length H pipes are designed as direct bolt on to factory headers or any aftermarket shorty headers as well as of course BBK shorty headers for weekend track or race use." There was no visible damage to the pipe so I only found out after I tried to install it and figured I was doing something wrong. It wasn't until I had a professional look at it and tell me that was never going to "bolt on". I did not modify the part because it was being used on a different application, nor did I order the wrong part. The reason the part had to be modified was so that it would fit the vehicle. I was not looking for any type of refund or payment of the labor charges I incurred so that I could drive my vehicle, Just maybe something to show me you stand behind your product and this was a fluke thing. I can tell you I will never buy another part from your company. I belong to several mustang forums and will post these emails and pictures to show how great BBK parts are. Thanks for your help! Michael The fitment issue sounds like a fluke thing to me.

My point was, that it's hard for BBK to do something about the pipe now that it's been modified and the fitment issue has been alleviated in the process.

I understand that your car is a daily driver. As a long time enthusiast and owner, I know exactly what it means to be left without a car during a part installation.

I know you mentioned that you had to cut the original pipe and it couldn't be re-used and that confuses me a bit.

I've done over 50 of these installs and never once had to destroy or render the the stock pipe unusable in the process.
It is a bolt together deal.

You also mentioned that the cross member had to be modified too. That should have raised a red flag immediately!

If you are talking about cutting the EGR tube, that can be reconnected with a piece of heater hose and 2 hose clamps like the ones provided in the BBK kit.

I'm not implying that you did anything wrong or that the BBK was not at fault in this situation. I'm all for just fixing a problem on the spot and skipping on warranty claims myself.

However, I don't expect that the manufacturer will be able to offer me anything once I've done so.

I'm here 8 hours a day Mon-Fri. and our website/email is available 24-7.

If BBK had been given an opportunity to correct the problem before you had it modded, We would've done our very best to do so.

Again, I apologize for any issues you've run into.

I've done deep research on the warranty policies of the the biggest names in our industry, and I'm proud to say that we go above and beyond our warranty offers in comparison to Edelbrock, Roush, Saleen, and Ford Racing. I'm sorry that you aren't happy with our policy. but what can BBK do from here to fix a problem that you've already had corrected?

BBK stands behind the parts we make, but we can't control what happens out in the field when people decide to modify them if we aren't given the chance to correct the issue before they break out the saws and welding equipment.

Please feel free to post all of my responses in their entirety to your forum(s) of choice.

Bryan Rogers

Technical Support

Last edited by 50GT; 08-22-2008 at 11:48 PM.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:53 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

I have to say, I gotta side with BBK on this one.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:02 AM
ewgoetz
3rd Gear Member

Hmm this post is double posted..... and like the other post i side with them as well.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:02 AM
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member

ive used the bbk h-pipe on many cars and no problems here

when ur having a shop do the work, its hard for u to judge if the part fits or dosnt just by going on what the shop has told u.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:56 AM
50GT
1st Gear Member

Well, I saw where it needed to be cut and re-welded so that it would fit.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:02 AM
50GT
1st Gear Member

How would you side with BBK? I sent the pictures showing them where it had to be cut and re-welded. Not you or anyone else would have gotten this pipe to just bolt up.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:34 AM
ewgoetz
3rd Gear Member

Than there could of been the possibility that the wrong one was shiped to you or LRS ordered the wrong one possibly one was miss boxed. either way if it dont fit out the box and they dont say any modification is needed you should of called em right away, at that point they are obligated to either refund you or send a new correct one.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:45 AM
FuzzyDiceRule
5th Gear Member

how does it work, does it use 2 seperate peices with a clamp on the H? if so, was that all the way together?
Old 08-23-2008, 02:52 AM
50GT
1st Gear Member

Yes it is two pieces with a clamp in the middle. It was all the way together and I had the pipe on the vehicle. It had a very bad exhaust leak from the Drivers side collector. The box stated 87-93 off road H-pipe so unless BBK put the wrong parts in the box, but I don’t think it was the wrong part because I was able to get it bolted up. I could not get it to seal tight to the collector. Both sides had a leak but the driver’s side was the worst. I spent two days of my life working on that dame pipe.
Old 08-23-2008, 04:36 AM
Five0hFox
3rd Gear Member

I'm going to have to say you should of contacted BBK before cutting. I have a BBK h-pipe and it required no work to fit other than pullin the 2 tubes 3/8" apart, which is no big deal.

Quick Reply: BBK H-Pipe Is Junk and Customer Service Sucks