5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

new to the 5.0

Old 08-28-2008, 10:33 PM
dunerdr

Default new to the 5.0

just bought an 88 was told it was a gt not positive. im a newb to workin on car engines. ive done alot of work on small motors mostly quads and love workin on them. found a good deal on this and decided to give it a whirl. so my question is do these motors have roller cams? id really like to get a decent street cam and a set of heads on it. that leads me to my next question where do i start as far as getting more fuel to the motor? do these motors respond well to boost? i see all kinds of twin turbo kits and crap on ebay and have a friend with a paxton supercharger for sale i was wondering what mods to look at for a forced induction setup. i know several people who spray thier 5.0s and im not saying its not an option but id like to look into a turbo or turbos or supercharger first. im really just looking for all the basic stuff i need to know any help or info is greatly greatly appreciated.

thanks,
lance
Old 08-28-2008, 11:13 PM
FuzzyDiceRule
5th Gear Member

its almost impossible to not know if an 88 is a GT or not... first off, does it look like my car, body kit wise? if so, its a GT, if not its an LX, does it have Tailpipes, if not its a GT...

yes they have roller cams,

a supercharger with the larger injectors and fuel pump will net you about 350hp, the problem with these engines is they have a VERY restrictive heads cam and intake combo, it basically sucks nuts, so to get any REAL power out of them, you should look into them, its a fairly expensive swap, but worth it... that will net you the same as the supercharger... add the supercharger to THAT, and you max out the block (about 500hp) thats the point where you should look into aftermarket blocks and stroker kits

its a never ending cycle
Old 08-28-2008, 11:19 PM
mstngsule68
4th Gear Member

just start with the basic bolt ons. then maybe a little nitrous...like stated. a supercharger will be pushing it on a stock motor.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:29 PM
FuzzyDiceRule
5th Gear Member

no, a supercharger on top of an H/C/I motor, if done right a charger on a stock motor aside from like, an intake (read, PRO50SC's Setup, running 12's on a stock Heads, cam, and bottom end with an intake and a supercharger...) will be fine
Old 08-29-2008, 12:03 AM
jtmustang
5th Gear Member

there are several turbo kits that with a few boltons and fuel upgrades that will get u right around 400rwhp ...
Old 08-29-2008, 09:52 AM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

first investigate the chassis, suspension brakes etc...

get subframe connectors, aftermarket control arms and some good springs/shocks...

then work over the brakes.. factory brakes are terrible on the foxes...

its better to beable to control a slower car than to lose control of a faster car...

once you have a solid base to work with, you can throw in a ton of power without fear of really breaking anything...
Old 08-29-2008, 11:38 AM
dunerdr

thanks for all the replies! i was planning on doing heads cam and intake stuff first i was just wondering what was up with the other setups. im attempting to buy an entire trickflow topend from a guy at work who fried the bottom end of his while spraying alot. hes got trickflow heads(worked over) upper and lower intake, injectors, fuel pump computer, he claims its everything trickflow would sell him for on top of the motor. i doubt ill buy it because im sure he wants to much for it. can you guys give me a rough estimate of what some of these parts would be worth off a non running used motor?
Old 08-29-2008, 12:47 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

for one i would never ever ever ever ever ever ever buy used aluminum heads.

the only used heads you would eve look at is iron heads such as: gt40's gt40p's old 351 heads, or 289 heads.

you can piece together a quality build much cheaper than that trickflow top end kit and net a HP level. however you gotta know what to look for and match your build. if you dont really know what you're lookin for and you have the money, trickflow is a good kit for you. i dont know about you but i dont really have 2500 bucks to toss around. lol!

i'm just under a grand on my top end build and i should be over 300hp.

i do agree with getting a better base (suspension) cause you really cant mess it up and you'll get use to working on your car that way. its easier and cheaper IMO. there are stock stangs around pullin mid to high 13's on suspension alone. paired with and h/c/i you're in the mid 12's.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:35 PM
dunerdr

what are the gt40 and gt40p heads? and what base mods should i start with i know my stangs got a some kind of lowering kit dont know how it was lowered or anything im planning on getting the back back in the air to fit a bigger tire under it.