5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

just a taste

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 09:34 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

you have UPR upper and boxed lowers? all that your problem....i bet your pinion angle is all out of whack. the UPR's paired up is a great set up. i use to have ridiculous wheel hop with stock C arms. with these new UPR's arms i can lay down some nice clean lines.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:42 AM
mustangsneverdie
5th Gear Member

the uppers are adj. and lowers are tubular and i got the tool to make sure i had the pinion angle right
Old 09-05-2008, 09:55 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

and you still have wheel hop?!? somethin is wrong. whats your springs/shocks like?
Old 09-05-2008, 10:47 AM
mustangsneverdie
5th Gear Member

springs are stock 4 cyl. with new monroe shocks from advance
Old 09-05-2008, 12:02 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Are you sure the pinion angle is set correctly? What did you use for measurement and how many degrees did it call for?
Old 09-05-2008, 12:03 PM
mustangsneverdie
5th Gear Member

idk what the tool is called but we set it at either 0 or 2 degrees
Old 09-05-2008, 12:20 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

In our experience, the most important thing to consider when setting pinion angle is to ensure that when under load, the driveshaft will be as in-line with the pinion as possible. This usually requires an initial setting of negative 2° to negative 4° so that the pinion aims slightly at the ground. This setting is usually achieved with stock length upper and lower control arm settings. 90% of the traction bars we install are Mega-bites (we'll get into why in a little bit) and even the "seniors" which are fully adjustable end up with a proper pinion angle 9 out of 10 times right out of the box with HP's initial factory setting. To make certain your geometry is correct it's necessary to use a pinion angle gauge, something we do with every traction bar install.
http://www.alternativeauto.com/water...ves/hook2.html

Now, remember when we said Hupp was hard-core? Get ready for Rear Suspension 101. "From the factory, the Mustang rear suspension is similar to a four-link," Hupp notes. "If you replace the bushings with solid aluminum pieces, it will function exactly like a four-link. You can box the stock control arms and fit them with aluminum bushings, and that will work. But if you really want to optimize [the rear suspension], you need to re-set your pinion angle, which can be done with a slightly longer-than-stock lower control arm. Factory is about 0-2 degrees down; you want 4-6 degrees. For really bad street/strip cars, I would recommend using aluminum bushings on the lower control arms and hard urethane bushings on the uppers to provide some sort of happy medium." All of this, Hupp amends, is provided you strengthen and reinforce the torque boxes first.
http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...ues/index.html

anywhere from 2-6* pinion is correct. mine is at 4 and she hooks good. those are solid UPR control arms right out of the box

Last edited by FivePointOhh; 09-05-2008 at 12:23 PM.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:22 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Originally Posted by mustangsneverdie
idk what the tool is called but we set it at either 0 or 2 degrees
Wheels level on the ground or blocks right?
Old 09-05-2008, 12:36 PM
mustangsneverdie
5th Gear Member

we had it sittin on stands so we could get under it but i think new bushings will help out just need the uppers if that doesn't fix it ill check the angle again
Old 09-05-2008, 12:48 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

well while your waiting why dont you play around with the pinion angle. 2 minutes to jack up the car. 20 min to adjust the pinion angle. 2 minute to get her back on the ground. few launches to test.

whats the worst that could happen? oops it doesnt work...lets put it back to where it was. your bushings will not effect your wheel hop

Quick Reply: just a taste