5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

anyone ever run no mufflers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 08:20 PM
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member

Default anyone ever run no mufflers?

my cars catback is really old (flowmasters). it rattles at every rpm, backfires alot, and sounds terrible.

sometimes when under load the car will kinda stumble and i think its because the mufflers are clogged. if i bang em wit my hand theres all kinds of packing/metal bouncing around.

im thinking off putting dumps on after the h-pipe for now just to see if it smooths anything out. im not expecting any kind of power gain but im just sick of the rattling.

slp lm1 catback in the works but not anytime soon
Old 09-14-2008, 08:27 PM
94Yellow50
4th Gear Member

when we put my buddies slps on his 95 we ran it once with just he H hooked up and its really loud lol..now granted we were in a shop thats huge, open, and the car was on a lift about 6 feet in the air..but it was ungodly loud....and to my knowledge..theres no packing in true flowmaster mufflers..maybe some of the metal inside rusted and broke away but i dont think its packing..and once your slps are there be ready for it to be loud! lol
Old 09-14-2008, 08:37 PM
mustangsneverdie
5th Gear Member

i have an o/r bbk h-pipe on my car and both hangers on the passenger side broke so i just took that side off with just one muffler off it was insane loud when i romped on the pedal but as long as i took it easy it was quiet there aint no tellin how many cops i pulled up beside and they could never tell the difference
Old 09-14-2008, 08:59 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

just go get an inexpensive catback to solve the issue
Old 09-14-2008, 09:20 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

yeah, go with a summit catback, they are I think 150 bucks if that, your gonna loose a ton of backpressure by just running dumps after the midpipe... or just swap out the mufflers themselves for some cheapo ones for now
Old 09-14-2008, 11:16 PM
FuzzyDiceRule
5th Gear Member

i dunno, if you have cats you should be able to get away with it, my car was damn quiet with an open H pipe before the top end...

the dumped pyhpes with the top end was louder, lol
Old 09-15-2008, 12:14 AM
Ketis
2nd Gear Member

i drove my car after i did the t-5 swap with open headers, that was ungodly loud when i was whomping through 1st around the block
Old 09-15-2008, 12:44 AM
ewgoetz
3rd Gear Member

If your hearing rattling when you bang on the muffler, there is a posibility that there are pieces of your cat in the mufflers.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:00 AM
5.0kid
5th Gear Member

when we rebuilt my buddies 5.0 in his 88 gt we dropped it back into the car and it had just shorty's on it we hooked up everything except the exhaust and then started it up ( only for a few seconds because we didn't want to melt the oil pan) worst sounding car ive ever heard sounded like a honda with a big cam in it. we shut it down and agreed that only big blocks or large cube small blocks with a lot of compression sound good with out mufflers
Old 09-15-2008, 11:18 AM
mustangsneverdie
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 5.0kid
( only for a few seconds because we didn't want to melt the oil pan)
you wouldnt have melted the freakin oil pan don't even know where you got that from you would've warped the valves

Quick Reply: anyone ever run no mufflers?