MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-general-discussion-87/)
-   -   Pulling my hair out!! (fuel) (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-general-discussion/485260-pulling-my-hair-out-fuel.html)

Epic89lx 09-25-2008 07:23 PM

Pulling my hair out!! (fuel)

Hi i am kind of new here, but i forgot my user/pw so i had to re-register. anyway, i am new to the 5.0 stangs i used to have a 01 gt. but anyway i bought a 89 lx 5.0 and i am encontering a few problems, first off, i just recently changed/replaced (fuel pressure regulator, 3.73 gears ,thermostat, spark plugs/wires, ignition switch, fuel pump relay, MAF, throttle body) The car also has no cats. the only problem i am having is, my fuel pump will stay on... the car is very hard to start, i have to use some brake cleaner sprayed into a vacuum line to get it to start on cold mornings. when the car is warm, the fuel pump will cut off like its supposed to. then it smokes like crazy, but its not oil smoke, its fuel smell, its running very very rich aswell. the car will run and idle weird unless you mess with the timing a little bit, then the car will run fine when the car is warm.

Cliff notes

1. bought new parts and installed them
2. fuel pump stays on
3.hard to start cold
4. runs very rich smoke comes out the tail pipes, fuel smell.

someone please help me!!!

mjr46 09-25-2008 07:35 PM

so when the car is shut off you can still hear the pump running??

Epic89lx 09-25-2008 07:46 PM

no it will shut off when the car is off..

.boB 09-25-2008 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Epic89lx (Post 5483623)
no it will shut off when the car is off..

It's supposed to. When you turn the key, the fuel pump comes on. If the engine isn't started in a few seconds, it will shut off. If the engines bogs down and dies, the pump will shut off. The engine cannot run unless the fuel pump is on.

Epic89lx 09-25-2008 07:58 PM

i know its supposed to. im saying when the car is on. the fuel pump will always stay on.

mustangjon 09-25-2008 10:39 PM

whats the FP your running now? the car have stock injectors? did this car have these problems before any the mods you did? Sounds like fp way off from what you've changed only that could be causing any of the rich issue. The car is MAF? right.. i had a similar problem with my Speed density car recently where didnt have vacuum going to the map sensor

FuzzyDiceRule 09-25-2008 11:45 PM

when the car is on, as in, running, its supposed to, if you mean on as in key turned not running, it should prime for a couple seconds and stop

Epic89lx 09-26-2008 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by FuzzyDiceRule (Post 5484328)
when the car is on, as in, running, its supposed to, if you mean on as in key turned not running, it should prime for a couple seconds and stop

ya when i do that.. it does not shut off...