5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Im new with cars and forums

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 09:30 PM
Lazor05
2nd Gear Member

Default Im new with cars and forums

Hi, I just bought an 5.0 82 mustang gt. I really like the car so far and am getting used to driving a stick. I want to make my car faster(of course) but im not really sure where to start. I dont have much knowledge as far as cars go. All i have done so far is replace the heater core, which took forever. I have read some places that upgrading to 4.10 gears would be the most bang for my buck, but there are some issues that I should probably fix before that. I have a hole in my exhaust, its about 1 in. in diameter. My speedometer doesn't work, i am missing 2 mounting holes for the passenger seat and the parking break doesn't work. The engine was recently rebuilt however and it has new rear control arms. There is also a new edelbrock carburetor on the car. I really want to start fixing up my car soon, so any advice would be great. I am however still in high school, so i'm not rolling in money. So nothing too big. I was just wondering where anyone thinks I should start. I think I got a good deal on this car, but then again I dont know too much about cars. I payed $2000 for it
Old 09-30-2008, 09:33 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

If it doesn't have such now, get some headers and an h-pipe and a double hump cross member and put true dual exhaust on it and 3.73 gears would be a better choice for you.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:34 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

oh..post a pic of it if you can.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:36 PM
Lazor05
2nd Gear Member

yeah i was planning on it. But I figured I should wait until its light outside. And honestly I really dont know about any of that stuff. I know there are 2 pipes coming out the back, but that doesn't necessarily make it a true dual exhaust right?
Old 10-01-2008, 12:10 AM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

is it a 4 speed or a 5 speed? Ive seen an '82 with a 4 speed in it...

and since you mentioned it is an edelbrock carb, sounds like the PO saved you the trouble of converting it to a 4bbl...

and plus 1 on 3:73s, 4:10s are good for autos or more strip driven cars...
Old 10-01-2008, 06:55 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by Lazor05
yeah i was planning on it. But I figured I should wait until its light outside. And honestly I really dont know about any of that stuff. I know there are 2 pipes coming out the back, but that doesn't necessarily make it a true dual exhaust right?
are the pipes on just the left side?? or one on the left and one on the right??
Old 10-01-2008, 06:59 AM
Lazor05
2nd Gear Member

pipes are on left and right. and its a 5 speed
Old 10-01-2008, 07:01 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

look under it and see if you have two pipes seperate from one another going all the way up to the engine, if you do it is true dual
Old 10-01-2008, 11:28 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

If you going to change gears (3.73's the best), swap the 7.5" for an 8.8" rear...
Old 10-01-2008, 12:05 PM
Chuckles_5.0
2nd Gear Member

just rip the exaust pipes out and go just headers...lol, j/k that would be bad.

I agree with true duel, but if your in highschool it might be a bit expensive (unless I am just stupid unlucky when it comes to shoping for h-pipes.) Especialy if they do inspections where you are, (they don't here in SC so the much cheaper catless pipes pass, for now)

(with cats an h-pipe is like $200-$300 more)

---
Any way, since you mentioned that your new to cars and such, my best advice for you is find someone who is into cars, and become that persons best friend.

Read things like Muscle Mustang, 5.0 mag, and Mod. Mustang. They do a good job of not forgeting the new guy when they talk about stuff and they don't mind going back to the basics to explane how things work. But the things they are talking about usually consist of power adders (super chargers [s/c], turbos, or N2O).
the s/c and turbos are not in your price range yet, buy you might get away with a shot of n2o, (although you have to fill the bottle up again and again, which is why I don't like it)
they do talk about transmissions, shifters, and that kind of thing too.
(a pro5.0 short throw shifter is a good investment if you like to drive hard, if you don't know, it makes the distance between gears shorter, so you shift faster, so you move faster, so you win faster, so you have more fun....faster)

I do agree with the 3.73 gears, 4.10s are to much, especialy if you just started driving stick, you don't need it.

But before you do anything get the speedo fixed, (atleast fixed so you know how fast your going, mine reads 5mph slower than I'm driving, but I know that, so its ok)

The P-brake might just be the brakes need to be replaced, check them first.

How can you be missing the holes for the passenger seat? the car was made with a passenger seat, so the holes must be there...you can't miss place a hole, can you?

And then there is the exaust, like I said, true duel is the way to go, and if you do that then you might as well upgrade to 2.5 inch tubes as opposed to 2.25.

Any way, that was a long post, hope everything works out for you, have fun with it, and get really dirty under the hood.

Quick Reply: Im new with cars and forums