5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Coolant and Over-heating Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 12:26 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Originally Posted by Marunos
Right, i missed that one! Any idea what could be the reason for losing the coolant each time while having air pocket? does it work to push some of the coolant out of the car?
Originally Posted by mjr46
air takes up space as the air works itself out the coolant takes it's place, does it blow good heat???
As MJR46 stated above, the air takes up space in the system. As the air is purged, the coolant takes it's place. Thus making the coolant level lower as this process happens. If you have too much coolant in the system as you are trying to burp the system, it will push the coolant back out.

The best way to burp the system is to start w/ a cold system. Fill the radiator but leave about 4-5" of room in the radiator. (This will allow room for expansion as the engine heats up.) Now start the car. Watch for the coolant to start to rise at it heats up, after that, you should see the coolant start to circulate through the tubes in the radiator. At this time you can start slowly adding more coolant a little at a time. Once the coolant is still flowing, you can top of the system. Both rad hoses should now be warm to hot. Turn on the heat to be sure there is heat. The air blowing across the radiator should now also be hot and your gauge should reflect operating temp as well. Put on the cap, adjust the level in the overflow and you should be good to go.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:29 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Yup 14 qrts for the whole system. Jack up the front of your car and just fill until its full and let it set like I said before. The level will drop slowly so you can put more in. Remember 14 qrts is 3 1/2 antifreeze jugs. With the bigger radiator you will need more too.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:32 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

You guys have to remember, that's a completely dry system, block included. So it's not going to hold that much.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:44 PM
Marunos

Originally Posted by PRO50SC
As MJR46 stated above, the air takes up space in the system. As the air is purged, the coolant takes it's place. Thus making the coolant level lower as this process happens. If you have too much coolant in the system as you are trying to burp the system, it will push the coolant back out.

The best way to burp the system is to start w/ a cold system. Fill the radiator but leave about 4-5" of room in the radiator. (This will allow room for expansion as the engine heats up.) Now start the car. Watch for the coolant to start to rise at it heats up, after that, you should see the coolant start to circulate through the tubes in the radiator. At this time you can start slowly adding more coolant a little at a time. Once the coolant is still flowing, you can top of the system. Both rad hoses should now be warm to hot. Turn on the heat to be sure there is heat. The air blowing across the radiator should now also be hot and your gauge should reflect operating temp as well. Put on the cap, adjust the level in the overflow and you should be good to go.

Great! I will check it out. I shall jack up the front of the car and fill it as suggested by projectresto83.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:50 PM
Marunos

Originally Posted by projectresto83
Yup 14 qrts for the whole system. Jack up the front of your car and just fill until its full and let it set like I said before. The level will drop slowly so you can put more in. Remember 14 qrts is 3 1/2 antifreeze jugs. With the bigger radiator you will need more too.
You guys have to remember, that's a completely dry system, block included. So it's not going to hold that much.
Maybe first i need to get rid of the air pocket by raising the car and leaving the rad as the highest point then fill it.. I may need to repeat this few times!
Old 10-11-2008, 12:59 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Hell, I had to put 3 gallons in mine after doing a head swap. And thats with a stock radiator.