5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Coolant and Over-heating Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 05:33 PM
Marunos

Default Coolant and Over-heating Problem

Well now I got 175F electric fan (Flex-A-Lite) for my 1990 Mustang GT 5.0 (Manual). Also I installed Fluidyne 2 row aluminium radiator. When I drive for some miles, I can see the temp on my gauge climbs higher than what I used to have. Sometimes it over-heats and when I check on the coolant, it's almost gone (let’s say another 3 ltrs need to be added)!

Now, I am wondering where is my coolant ending up? I didn't have this problem at all before installing the fan & the radiator. I checked on all hoses everything looks fine with no noticeable leaks! I didn't suspect any other leaks, and last year I got my whole engine rebuilt and heads gaskets were replaced. After rebuilding the coolant level was great until I changed to Aluminium Radiator and the electric fan.

Please can you advise?
Old 10-10-2008, 05:37 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Well, have you "burped" the system to make sure there are no air pockets in it? Is the fan running at all? What temp is it set to come on at?
Old 10-10-2008, 06:12 PM
Marunos

Originally Posted by PRO50SC
Well, have you "burped" the system to make sure there are no air pockets in it? Is the fan running at all? What temp is it set to come on at?
The car is running great, when the car is at idle the temp is away below 1/4, if i keep it longer like 15-20 mins or so, it goes to 1/4 , then I drive it for first 10 mins it may reach 1/2, then in other few miles it climbs all the way above 1/2.

You are right, airlock can be an issue which I did not take into considerations. The other thing is that the thermostat was removed since ages. When I tried to put back a new one (180) , the temp. went up so quickly as the engine starts. So, I removed it!!!!

Do you think that with air pocket in the system, the coolant will be thrown out from maybe the overflow tank?!! because each time I need to add coolant to full then again it disappears! I am just trying to understand the relation between the airlock in the system and losing coolant everytime!
Old 10-10-2008, 06:33 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

air takes up space as the air works itself out the coolant takes it's place, does it blow good heat???
Old 10-11-2008, 02:02 AM
Marunos

Originally Posted by mjr46
air takes up space as the air works itself out the coolant takes it's place, does it blow good heat???
Yeah, i know dude you are thinking about the heater core, but right i checked it out, it's good. If the core is leaking, would it be easy to tell from inside the car, leak at passenger side? or sometimes, it might be tricky?!
Old 10-11-2008, 02:10 AM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

yea if it was your heatercore you would know cause it would be all over the interior floor
Old 10-11-2008, 04:08 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Originally Posted by Marunos
Yeah, i know dude you are thinking about the heater core, but right i checked it out, it's good. If the core is leaking, would it be easy to tell from inside the car, leak at passenger side? or sometimes, it might be tricky?!
No, you don't! The reason he was asking about the heat is when you have an air pocket in the system, generally there is no heat because of it.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:12 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Your cooliing system does take up like 14 qrts of antifreeze plus or minus some. I thought I was eating the coolant up awhile back until I read the capacities in the haynes manual. Fill it up and let it sit for a few then fill it up again and again. Eventually it will stop dropping. Then let the car run and wait till the thermo opens and fill it up some more.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:48 AM
Marunos

Originally Posted by PRO50SC
No, you don't! The reason he was asking about the heat is when you have an air pocket in the system, generally there is no heat because of it.
Right, i missed that one! Any idea what could be the reason for losing the coolant each time while having air pocket? does it work to push some of the coolant out of the car?
Old 10-11-2008, 11:08 AM
Marunos

Originally Posted by projectresto83
Your cooliing system does take up like 14 qrts of antifreeze plus or minus some. I thought I was eating the coolant up awhile back until I read the capacities in the haynes manual. Fill it up and let it sit for a few then fill it up again and again. Eventually it will stop dropping. Then let the car run and wait till the thermo opens and fill it up some more.
That's new to me!! Then that may tell many things! When i first flushed the radiator and re-filled , i had to put only about 6 qrts, then it was full! then, i had this problem with driving and adding more and more coolant, it happened around 5-6 times in each i had to add around 1-1.5 qrts.. but if airlock was there every time I add, then I will never fill it up with coolant of 14 qrts.. there must be an airlock everytime!

Quick Reply: Coolant and Over-heating Problem