5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

few questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 08:46 PM
holtzer1

Default few questions

alrighty, been takin closer looks at my 85gt, i'm gonna keep the 4 eyes, so everyone can keep their cool on that one..yeah..it grew on me fast. anyway, the guy i got it from put a different offset wheel on it, and matched with the bbk springs all around..if there is anyone but me in the car, and yes...anyone, even my 9 yr old, the rear tires barely rub the wheel wells. not enough to leave a rub mark on the tire even, but i can hear it make that god aweful noise when it does it. in my searches fo answers, all the bbk springs i found were drop springs. so would it be ok to swap out the rear bbk's for some stockers to bring it back up a hair? i really like the rims, so i dont want to get rid of them. i thought about putting in those screw in spring risers, but not sure if thats a goo idea or not. either way..what would you do?

also, whats the difference in the door paels from year to year? i've been looking at parts to redo this car an the only door panels i can find are from 87 on up, nothing for the 85...or 86 for that matter. can i buy the ones for the 87..and will they fit? it has pwr windows and locks if that matters.

lastly, it has the cfi, i noticed a hesitation when "getting on it" at about half throttle, especialy when its cold. is this something i should live with until i do the carb swap or is there a common problem/fix for this? also..is the 370 dollar carbed engine wiring harness worth buying if i'm going to do the carb swap (i want it to look clean)
Old 10-10-2008, 08:47 PM
holtzer1

oh..it only rubs when hitting dips, or bumps in the road..not when driving on flat ground.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:56 PM
holtzer1

sorry....this is a sig test post
Old 10-10-2008, 08:58 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Well when upgrading to 87+ door panels you either need to get the doors to or weld the little brackets that screw the arm rests into the other position needed for the new ones.

I wouldn't go to stock springs but you can get another set. Ford Racing Performance Parts (FRPP) springs lower the car a little lower than stock so that will solve your rubbing problem. What size tires are on the wheels? Don't use that junk raising/lowering screw crap.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:36 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

what size tires are on the rear, as for the cfi drivibility issue, could be a lot of things, you can run a koer test and see if any codes exist that'll indicate a possible solution to the prob, sounds like a lean hesitation, could have a bad o2 or vaccum leaks, as for the wire harness, I wouldn't waste my money on it, when convewrting to carb from cfi you can ditch the complete cfi harness and with minimal rewire , create your own harness, my 85 used to be cfi and now is carb, here is the final outcome after conversion

http://s242.photobucket.com/albums/f...inished001.jpg
Old 10-10-2008, 11:03 PM
holtzer1

damn thats nice....hopefuly i can get my engine and engine bay as good as that one day.

but heres another dumb question...i need to add a 3rd seatbelt to the rear seat. i figured i could just go and get a seatbelt with the adjustable buckle from a salvage yard, but how the heck does the bottom of the rear seat come off???? this is just for..if the situation arises where all 3 of my kiddos and my wife wanna go for a ride all with me..all the kids have a seatbelt. there enough room across the seat..skinny little *****, i just need to know how to get the seat bottom off so i can bolt em in there.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:14 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

YOu have to put your weight down on the front of the lower seat and push back at the same time. As for bolting an adjustable belt in there I guess you can use the two center bolts for the other seat belts for a 3rd belt.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:20 PM
holtzer1

yep, thats what i planned on doing. one of those comprimises i must make.