5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

2.3L EFI to 5.0 carbed conversion questions (LX)

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 12:17 PM
tstirman

Question 2.3L EFI to 5.0 carbed conversion questions (LX)

OK, so I have '93 2.3L EFI LX that I am planning on converting to a carbed 302, but I had a few questions of what all I might want to take into consideration. In my infinite wisdom (or not.. LOL) I've already purchased the engine, complete with a carb, intake manifold, etc... a whole motor. I've got the master kit for the rebuild and most of the other parts for it squared away.

My problem actually lies in the fact that this will be my first (and hopefully not my last) conversion. I know that the computer will no longer be needed and I plan on removing the A/C, but I am not sure of all the other parts that I will need to change. I have been told that the PS pump and the front wiring harness will need to be changed, but I have also been told that the MAP sensor and vacuum distributor need to be changed. If it is going to be carbed, is this true? What other parts must be changed for a minimalist (functional) conversion?

Also, I know that the manual fox 4 bangers have a T5 tranny (though mine reads R5), but can this same transmission be used with the new engine or will I need to get a different one? I am beginning to see articles that say that the T5 for the 4-cyl and the T5 in the V8 models are different, in that the 4-cyl model is down-sized and will not properly fit a 302. I have a Ford Racing rebuild kit for the transmission (which says it fits both 5.0 and 2.3 applications), but I would hate to go through the trouble (and $240), when I should just get the bigger T5.

Any thoughts?
Old 10-16-2008, 01:33 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

t-5 tranny for the 4 banger has a smaller input shaft tip and with correct pilot bearing/bushing it'll work...for the rest you'll need a duraspark ignition set up = coil, , ignition box and duraspark distributor for either a non roller cam set up or for one..depending on year of block using, gut the efi wire harness and build your own = very minimal is needed for the carb set up, mainly for gauges and ignition and you can uses either an elec pump set up or mechanical pump depending on the timing cover used
Old 10-16-2008, 02:28 PM
tstirman

Awesome, that's what I thought (about the input shaft)...any ideas on where to find that input bearing or what to ask for? The internals of the tranny should be strong enough to handle the engine, without any need for gear replacements right off, right? I have the rebuilt kit shown in the link below, so I think it will help, but the gears are going to remain the same, for now.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...0%201&comp=LRS

Also, will it hold up to an 8.8 RE, when I get around to swapping out the stock 7.5? I haven't run into any one who's had issues with that before, but most of the tech articles I've read have been conversions using the transmission out of a 5.0. (I may have that a little backwards, in terms of which would wear which.) The block, I believe, is from a '79 or there abouts. I haven't run the VIN on it, yet, but it appears to have a roller cam. You think my current starter and alternator (75) will work for the new engine?

Sorry for all the noob questions, but I want to do this on a bit of a budget without jacking anything up, in the process. I'm mainly just concerned as to whether or not it would be better just to spring for a bigger T-5, get a bigger input shaft (3.35??) or just a special bearing.

Thanks for all the advice! I really appreciate it!
Old 10-16-2008, 02:33 PM
jtmustang
5th Gear Member

i would get a v-8 t5 if u plan on driving it hard at all.

and if it is a 79 block it is not a factory roller block as they didnt start until 85'
Old 10-16-2008, 02:38 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by tstirman
Awesome, that's what I thought (about the input shaft)...any ideas on where to find that input bearing or what to ask for? The internals of the tranny should be strong enough to handle the engine, without any need for gear replacements right off, right? I have the rebuilt kit shown in the link below, so I think it will help, but the gears are going to remain the same, for now.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...0%201&comp=LRS

Also, will it hold up to an 8.8 RE, when I get around to swapping out the stock 7.5? I haven't run into any one who's had issues with that before, but most of the tech articles I've read have been conversions using the transmission out of a 5.0. (I may have that a little backwards, in terms of which would wear which.) The block, I believe, is from a '79 or there abouts. I haven't run the VIN on it, yet, but it appears to have a roller cam. You think my current starter and alternator (75) will work for the new engine?

Sorry for all the noob questions, but I want to do this on a bit of a budget without jacking anything up, in the process. I'm mainly just concerned as to whether or not it would be better just to spring for a bigger T-5, get a bigger input shaft (3.35??) or just a special bearing.

Thanks for all the advice! I really appreciate it!
converting a stock 2.3 t-5 is not just a simple as swapping a bearing and input shaft, the 2.3 t-5 carries different ratios on the gears, in short you'd need to swap everything= not worth it....and my 92 stang in my sig was a 4cyl 5.0 carb conversion and had the 7.5 rear in it until a few months ago when it finally blew at the track but it hammered down many mid 13 sec passes on it, I used the 7.5 trac loc out of an 85 gt and the rest including ring and pinion was 4 popper stuff!!! and I ran the 2.3 t-5 for a few weeks but I hated the lower ratio= felt like a road race tranny so I swapped to a 5.0-t-5, anyway the 4cyl drivetrain will hold up to a 5.0 for a time....as for the bearing, post a thread for that, I can't remmeber the number I used
Old 10-16-2008, 02:44 PM
tstirman

Originally Posted by jtmustang
and if it is a 79 block it is not a factory roller block as they didnt start until 85'
Good to know! I haven't had a chance to check it out in detail, myself... it's at my cousin's shop right now. Suck when you have to build something in your head based on someone else's words and a quick glance to go by.

As for getting the V8 T-5... I think that might end up being what happens, because even with plans for it continuing to be my daily driver, I know I'm going to drive it hard every once in a while (at least... I've driven it hard as a 4 banger, so why not, right!?). Maybe I'll just rebuild the little one and sell it with my 2.3L engine when all is said and done. Recoup the cost of the upgrade.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:50 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

the 2.3 will hold up when driven hard, there was a member on here zachwo4stang who ran high 12's on his numerous times
Old 10-17-2008, 01:56 PM
tstirman

I found a V8 T-5 for $500, so I'm just going to get that and the 8.8 rear gear and pinion and just be done with it. It's better in the long run, anyway!

One last question and will be set to start this thing. My stock fuel pump, will that need to be swapped out with one that does not push so much gas? Going from EFI to carb, the current fuel pump would flood the carburetor, right?
Old 10-17-2008, 02:11 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

current fuel pump supplies to much pressure but use a regulator and loop it into the efi's return and the stock pump can be used as long as you regulate it down to 5-6 psi, I did away with mine and just used a holley blue electric external pump ftw!!
Old 10-17-2008, 02:22 PM
tstirman

Cool, thought so. Damn... I am glad that it is all gonna be worth the money. I'm about to just throw my original budget ($2000) out the window! I might just go mechanical, if I have the right timing cover, to save a bit of $$$ for now. The exhaust system I'm getting (and the tranny) is gonna set me back a bit.

Isn't that pump more than 5-6 PSI?

Quick Reply: 2.3L EFI to 5.0 carbed conversion questions (LX)