5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

SBC in a Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 01:10 PM
bwheeler

lol its a car who cares look man i dont agree with putting the chevy motor in it but its ur car if u wanna put a chevy motor in then thats ur decision but this is a forum and someone needs help regardless if its for a chevy motor i wish i could help man but dont know bout chevy motor
Old 10-19-2008, 05:07 PM
SUP3RSTANG
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JalapenoNotch0
Sure, I don't dobt that chevy makes some decent engines. What is so sad though, is that their cars suck so bad you had to reach over to Ford to get a car cool and sexy enough to put your prized engine into.
lol iv had nothings but mustangs.. u make it sound like im in love with chevy. they have cheap motors that put out more hp than pretty much any other SBF.. its common sense IMO speaking from a money perspective.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:49 PM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SUP3RSTANG
lol iv had nothings but mustangs.. u make it sound like im in love with chevy. they have cheap motors that put out more hp than pretty much any other SBF.. its common sense IMO speaking from a money perspective.
LS series motors are not cheap at all. You could build a great 351 for way less money.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:59 PM
SUP3RSTANG
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 83gtragtop
LS series motors are not cheap at all. You could build a great 351 for way less money.
i was speaking in terms of any SBC. a 350 will go in my area for the same as a 5.0 and a 350 has more power to start with.. so why not go with that. but yea i know an LS is more expensive. my thought process for all this is: i have a 4 banger car.. im going to have to switch EVERYTHING over n e ways might as well give myself every advantage for the same money.. ya know?

EDIT: on a sidenote tho, u can get LS1s with tranny for around 2500-3k in san antonio. you just have to call around(we have a ton of shops) so they are not THAT expensive..

Last edited by SUP3RSTANG; 10-19-2008 at 09:01 PM.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:04 PM
Explosive

I'll be rebuilding a Chevy 350 in school. Started disassembly on Friday.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:06 PM
DeltaElite121
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 83gtragtop
Chevy parts are cheaper than Ford parts. Period. The LSx engines are more expensive, but you don't have to go around buying aftermarket parts for it all over the place because most of the parts that come on them stock have alot of potential with just being reworked, and then tuned.

Pricing out my 351, and then pricing out my 383; my 383 stroker came out almost half as much with alot more horsepower to go around.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:13 PM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

i was speaking in terms of any SBC. a 350 will go in my area for the same as a 5.0 and a 350 has more power to start with.. so why not go with that. but yea i know an LS is more expensive. my thought process for all this is: i have a 4 banger car.. im going to have to switch EVERYTHING over n e ways might as well give myself every advantage for the same money.. ya know?

EDIT: on a sidenote tho, u can get LS1s with tranny for around 2500-3k in san antonio. you just have to call around(we have a ton of shops) so they are not THAT expensive..
1. No I don't

2. It's not just that, its that the parts are all very expensive. Why don't you just buy a motor out of a termy.

3. Go to LS1 forums and don't come back.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:14 PM
SUP3RSTANG
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by DeltaElite121
Chevy parts are cheaper than Ford parts. Period. The LSx engines are more expensive, but you don't have to go around buying aftermarket parts for it all over the place because most of the parts that come on them stock have alot of potential with just being reworked, and then tuned.

Pricing out my 351, and then pricing out my 383; my 383 stroker came out almost half as much with alot more horsepower to go around.
Yup! glad someone on this board thinks with there wallet also.. all im building is a fun street/strip car. looking to build a car that will do mid-low 12s all motor; and im more than confident a GM motor will get me there cheaper..
Old 10-19-2008, 09:37 PM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

Yup! glad someone on this board thinks with there wallet also.. all im building is a fun street/strip car. looking to build a car that will do mid-low 12s all motor; and im more than confident a GM motor will get me there cheaper..
A well built 302 can get you those times for probably about the same price as that LS1's you were talking about.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:29 PM
DeltaElite121
2nd Gear Member

If I were you I'd actually step it up a notch a build a 400 block. Still a SBC but a LOT more torque, and you can crank out an incredible amount of power out of them. 383's are awesome, but you reach the max potential out of the block by doing that. + building a 400 and a 383 will cost right around the same, so why not? Not to mention alot of people throw away their 400 blocks because they think the 350 is 'mighty' when in reality by today's standards it's kind of the opposite now because the cracking and heat issues are no longer a problem assuming the right parts are installed, and just incase - putting a better cooling system in the car to support MORE displacement (which logically, as you can imagine makes more heat)

- and as far as the LS1 is concerned, I can buy a lightly used LS1 for $1,800 if I shop around. This means I don't have to do ANY machining. Drop in and go. Brand new you're looking at triple that, but I don't see a 302 competing with an LS1 on the same price range. You add in a cam, and work the stock heads in an LSx and you'll have a blazing fast motor... and that's assuming you want to run the injectors. If you run them carb'd, it makes things even easier to get more out of it.

Most people here won't take kindly to Chevy swaps, but I ALSO think most people here have never seen the other side of the fence simply because they don't want to see it. I can personally say I own both Ford and Chevy, and they both have their good and bad sides so there's really no reason to be an 'extremist' in either direction.

Last edited by DeltaElite121; 10-19-2008 at 10:31 PM.

Quick Reply: SBC in a Coupe