5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Supercharger on a bone-stock 94 GT?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 02:13 AM
KSUWildcatFan
2nd Gear Member

Default Supercharger on a bone-stock 94 GT?

Apologies if this has been answered a hundred thousand times already, but I didn't find my answer right off by doing a quick search..

What else would I need to buy if I wanted to add a Vortech V-2 SQ supercharger to my car?

I'm looking at this kit: http://store.summitracing.com/partde...-020SQ&FROM=MG

My car is pretty much bone-stock (with 116k--hopefully that's not a big deal), so you can assume that anything that needs to be upgraded to support a supercharger will still need to be done.

Also, what kind of horsepower could I hope for at the wheels with a V-2 SQ?

-Jordan
Old 10-19-2008, 12:20 PM
NoGo95GT
4th Gear Member

Since your car is stock, that kit is perfect for your car since it is meant to run on a stock car. It has the Fuel pump and FMU which is critical to the proper fuel supply.Now, down the road if you upgrade to more performance items, like heads, cam, intake, etc, you will need a bigger fuel supply, like 42lb injectors and a good tune. But for now you are fine. Since you are completely stock I would not expect rwhp to be phenomenal. I believe Vortech claims 320hp at the fly and 375tq as well. So I would assume around 265rwhp. However if you add a more free flowing exhaust, larger MAF and TB, I would not be surprised if you made 300rwhp or more.
Old 10-19-2008, 01:13 PM
KSUWildcatFan
2nd Gear Member

Hmm..

So, I could buy that kit and install it as-is (without buying anything else right away)? That'd be great, since it's $3,000. Heh.

My real decision is whether I want to do an H/C/I or a supercharger right now..I might end up doing both in the long run..I'm not sure.

If I want to make sure my car is in good enough shape for a supercharger, what are some of the key things I should check? My car *should* be fine, but I'd really hate to spend $3,000 only to find that my car was in nowhere near good enough condition for forced induction. Thoughts?

Thanks for the post!

-Jordan
Old 10-19-2008, 02:14 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

I would just buy the kit, bolt it on and have fun...Stock 5L with a SC can put uo some big numbers...I ran in the 11's (with GT Fox) with 9# Powerdyne, Stock Heads & Cam with Cobra Intake...
Old 10-19-2008, 02:23 PM
NYMustang50
3rd Gear Member

I would do that supercharger. But do some supporting mods also to help it out. Like exhaust since you got all this air being forced in you should help it get out also so I would recommend doing an exhaust while you do it or asap after you put that supercharger on. Then maybe like a msd box to help get some better spark. But that it and you should be good.
Old 10-19-2008, 02:29 PM
KSUWildcatFan
2nd Gear Member

Bleh. Every time I see my father-in-law, he tells me that it'd be a bad idea slapping a supercharger on my car, since it has 116,000 miles. He keeps insisting that I'll get excessive blow by at the rings if I don't first freshen up the bottom end.

Thoughts?

-Jordan

Last edited by KSUWildcatFan; 10-19-2008 at 02:33 PM.
Old 10-19-2008, 03:17 PM
Gary H
4th Gear Member

Do a leakdown test, or find someone who can. That will tell you how good of a seal the rings have.
Old 10-19-2008, 03:22 PM
badloser
2nd Gear Member

I say bolt the kit on and see how it runs ...enjoy
Old 10-19-2008, 03:24 PM
KSUWildcatFan
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gary H
Do a leakdown test, or find someone who can. That will tell you how good of a seal the rings have.
Nod. How much does a leakdown test usually run?
Old 10-19-2008, 03:33 PM
Canary94GT
4th Gear Member

The cost of a leak-down tester is around $75.00-$100.00 and I heard it isn't very complicated to do (only complicated to understand the results), so I'm guessing it wouldn't be that much at a shop.

I recommend just calling a local garage and asking them if they can perform one and what it might cost.

However, I do recommend just getting the supercharger and seeing how it does. 116k isn't a hole lot, but you might run into a leakage problem in the future. So for now, enjoy the supercharger.

Quick Reply: Supercharger on a bone-stock 94 GT?