5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

carbureted and turboed

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 11:54 AM
mustangsneverdie
5th Gear Member

Default carbureted and turboed

how hard will it be already got the piping for the turbo and the turbo to the carb except for the plenum. Am I going to need to get a pump that is run off the belt? It's gonna be run up under the car, and with that said do I need an intercooler and where can I get a blow off valve(don't know if that's the same thing as a wastegate or not) it puts out a max of 7 lbs. and I've got about 260 (I think) to the wheels hopin that'll put me over 300 and that'll really liven it up
Old 10-24-2008, 03:14 PM
mustangsneverdie
5th Gear Member

anybody yea, no, maybe so you never no
Old 10-24-2008, 03:45 PM
jtmustang
5th Gear Member

pump run off the belt for what?

u will need a very good pump to supply plenty of fuel, and no u dont need an intercooler there just nice to cool stuff down and run more boost a little safer
Old 10-24-2008, 04:43 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

he meant a belt driven fuel pump....and no you wont. all you need at a intake FP for a mostly stock application just get a 255LPH pump. you should get up into the 350-400 range with a basic turbo set up
Old 10-24-2008, 09:20 PM
mustangsneverdie
5th Gear Member

I mean for oil because I know that they need the oil 5.ohh do they make the 255lph for carbed cars and would I need to block off the place that the mech. fuel pump is. and to let ya'll know where I'm thinkin about puttin it is between the h-pipe so there won't be too much boost for pretty much a stck bottom end
Old 10-24-2008, 09:25 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

you'll need special headers and a carb hat and a blow through carb...normal carbs won't work, and no a 255lph pump is for efi= not for your application.......outfitting your car for turbo will not be a quick nor simple project, after it is installed you'll need to tune it and make sure timing can be controlled, via a boost retard and have the proper exhaust for a turbo application
Old 10-24-2008, 09:29 PM
mustangsneverdie
5th Gear Member

so am I going to have to put a Y-pipe on it or can I put it between the h-pipe like I was thinkin and would pro be able to help me out a good bit since he's already been through it where would I get a blow through carb and a bost retard
Old 10-24-2008, 09:34 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

BOOST retard is just a ignition set up that is built in to msd box, summit sells them, and someone who I know has a better insight on this matter than I is a member named "uedlose"....he lives near me and he just built a turbo stang, and it is fast, although his is efi he still knows what he is doing as for the placement of the turbo I'd do the y-pipe with the reversed header set up so turbo is up front
Old 10-24-2008, 09:41 PM
mustangsneverdie
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
BOOST retard is just a ignition set up that is built in to msd box, summit sells them, and someone who I know has a better insight on this matter than I is a member named "uedlose"....he lives near me and he just built a turbo stang, and it is fast, although his is efi he still knows what he is doing as for the placement of the turbo I'd do the y-pipe with the reversed header set up so turbo is up front
it'd be easier to get to that way and would I be able to use the same bbk headers that I have now just put em on different sides and should I just tap into the oil pan for the oil
Old 10-24-2008, 09:44 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

if your turbo needs an oil line, you can tap into the pan,,,as for configuring the set up, I'm not sure if you can use your bbk's the way you intend to, either way it's gonna require fab work

Quick Reply: carbureted and turboed