5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

1000$ to spend on chasis stiffning

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 01:13 AM
q8stang
3rd Gear Member

Default 1000$ to spend on chasis stiffning

i decided that tomorow i will buy either a hatch or a notch and i will have 1000 to spend and this car is being bought with a plan on making it a 10 sec car but im going to start with chasis stiffening then suspension then interior then finally engine and driveline.

so with that said what would be my best options with 1000 to spend on chasis stiffening and im dont concerned about daily driving issuses since im not going to drive it daily and it is going to be a track car.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:04 AM
Blckstng93
4th Gear Member

Go with the notch as it has less body flex from the get go and probably lighter in the long run. The rear shelf of the notch adds much more rigidity than the hatch which has nothing to support the body, so you will be adding more weight just to keep the hatch from flexing. Look up Maximum Motorsports for chassis stiffening as well as suspension. They are pricey but from what ive herad they are really good at what they do. And make sure to have your torque boxes fully welded. Too many hard launches with slicks will eventually rip the factory welds out.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:27 AM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

as far as stiffening goes, full length subframe connectors are a must and weld your TBs. and thats all you really need IMO. your just building a drag car so suspension should be more of your concern.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:53 PM
q8stang
3rd Gear Member

TB?? ?
Old 10-26-2008, 03:05 PM
jtmustang
5th Gear Member

tb= torque boxes = where your upper and lower control arms bolt to the body.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:10 PM
q8stang
3rd Gear Member

what do i weld to them?
Old 10-26-2008, 04:03 PM
86_GT_Mustang
5th Gear Member

With a welder
Old 10-26-2008, 04:35 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

get a mild steel roll cage weld it in. I would get Wolf racing or some other subs frame connector and run them through the floor and hit the rocker in the front and rear of the car. or use the factory cross member for the front hit weld the bar to the subs. where you can weld the floor to the subs the whole length of the subs run them into the torque box's and weld the box's up weld kicker bars off the cage to hit the upper control arm mounts and weld them up so they support the upper arms you may have to run bolts from the bar plate though the floor to plates you weld to the upper arm mounts that way when the car is leaving it is pulling on the cage and the floor of the car so there is less chance of pulling the upper arms lose from the floor.also weld up all the seams in your lower box's and get some battle box's installed you can also run bars from you cage to the battle box's and that will offer even more support. then get a anti-roll bar and have it weld under the car and to the rear so when you leave and the car tries to roll over on the right rear tire it make it leave level. if you cant weld there goes your 1000 but it will be a good solid chassis to start. sounds like over kill but it works trust me. I have done this to a customers car and my own he was having 1.30 60 ft with a stick and never hurt the car and all we did was the battle box's and sub frames and a roll bar not a cage. but the car now has a cage in it. also installing a X bar will help you even more with twist. here are some pics. of mine I did this years ago and would change a few things now but I really think what I have will work just fine for now if I need to change some things I will later. if I start to have problems
Attached Thumbnails 1000$ to spend on chasis stiffning-picture-015.jpg   1000$ to spend on chasis stiffning-picture-056.jpg  
Old 10-26-2008, 04:55 PM
q8stang
3rd Gear Member

looks amazing nice ideas
Old 10-26-2008, 05:05 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Originally Posted by 86_GT_Mustang
With a welder
Dude, seriously wtf is in your sig???

Quick Reply: 1000$ to spend on chasis stiffning