5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Info on a 1990 5.0 Califonia Edition Mustang

Old 10-30-2008, 10:46 PM
tomoshea84

Old 10-31-2008, 09:08 AM
jackskid

Sorry to have to tell you this, but there was no "California Special" edition ever made by Ford for fox bodies. Looks like someone, some company or possibly a dealer, applied some vinyl graphics and edition numbering in an attempt to make an additional profit when selling these "special" models to unsuspecting consumers. Also, 1990 was the first year for airbags in Mustang and to compensate for the additional weight of the bag system Ford deleted the console armrest for 1990 only. The armrests re-appeared in 91-93. The delete plate showed up again on the 93 Cobra R.

Last edited by jackskid; 10-31-2008 at 09:12 AM.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:32 AM
cleanfitty
4th Gear Member

True about the armrest from the factory, but they brought it back mid 90 due to customer complains. (So only early 90's didn't have them.)

But it is obvious that this is a legit special edition. Probably left the factory a regualr GT, but was modified by Saleen somewhat.

So far there are at least 3 that we know of. (See the other thread in 5.0 General Discussion about the 89.)

I will bet money that it is not just someone who slapped some stickers on it. They must have gone through Saleen. Remember that Saleen is based out of Cali, so they must have had a project going on for those cars specifically for Cali.

This is just a speculation, but around 89 -90 they did't sell too many "true" Saleens (due to the recession back then) and "what if" they had some left over suspension parts and built some GT's with them as a special ed.

Your car seems to be in great shape, and it may be of higher value becase of this rare edition, (I do believe the BBK stuff was added sometime later though).
Old 10-31-2008, 02:43 PM
jackskid

Have to diagree with fitty. No mention anywhere of a Cali Edition. Not on any Saleen site. Not even mentioned on californiaspecial.com Most likley this is a California dealer who ran a promo. Bet if you ran the vin's for the 3 we know of they were all sold by the same dealer. If you look at the rear view photo on page 2, the California Edition sticker isn't even on straight. Typical dealer craftmanship.

Last edited by jackskid; 10-31-2008 at 02:48 PM.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:30 PM
cleanfitty
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jackskid
Most likley this is a California dealer who ran a promo. Bet if you ran the vin's for the 3 we know of they were all sold by the same dealer.
Could be a possbility, maybe a dealer near the saleen factory made a deal and had saleen make some custom decals, and is possible there may be a cople of suspension mods done(racecraft shocks, springs?).

But what are the odds that all are white GT's with the same decals in the same areas of the car and no badges?

CS.com is dedicated to factory cali cars in the late 60's and 2007, so the 89-90 wouldn't be in there reguardless.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:51 PM
tomoshea84

I POSTED THIS ON ADIFFERENT FORM . LOOK IM NOT GOING TO GET A PISSING MATCH ABOUT THIS BUT PLEASE READ BELOW. ALSO THE CA EDITION LOGO IS AT A 30 DAG. ANGLE TO VERTICAL(i.e. LOOKS SIDEWAYS..

Ok i have finally got some time to take some pics. I got this car from a 45 year old mad, who had like 20+ cars. He got it of old man how lived up the street from his house. He remembers when the old man bot it and drove its home. This car has always had these symbols from day one. It has always been the same ride hight,moonroof,center delete, and White 1990's style waffle rims. 90's Saleen 's come with waffle rims. Let me know if there is anything you wont to know or see pics of. Thanks for the help

Last edited by tomoshea84; 10-31-2008 at 08:11 PM.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:43 PM
tomoshea84

THE MOTOR WAS COMPLETELY STOCK. I DO NOT KNOW ABOUT THE GEARS BECAUSE I REPLACED THEM 1 YEAR AGO WITH 373'S. EVERYTHING MECHANICALLY (BESIDES THE SUSP.) WAS STOCK. O YEAH AND THE 10 GAL GAS TANK.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:08 PM
cleanfitty
4th Gear Member

I do believe it, trust me.

That pop top could be found on any GT. Ford decided to get rid of the center console in 90, but there was so much fuss from buyers that they brought it back mid 90. So no early 90's mustang had it, but mid 90's and up had them.

So you are saying the BBK intake was on there when it was bought new?

Also (and I know I'll get flamed by some) in the past years, people were selling GT fenders on Ebay that had the regular 'RACECRAFT SUSPENSION' logo on them sans the 5.0 badge- just like the LX Saleen, and the funny thing is that all were either white or dove gray. (They didn't say 'by Steve Saleen'), so they were out there.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:35 PM
tomoshea84

No I built up myself. here is some but probity not all of it. BBK SSI upper/lower manifold,BBK 70 mil throttle body,BBK cold air,65 mil (i think) 93 cobra mass air,still have 19lb injectors,BBK High flow fuel rails,BBK adjustable fuel pressure reg,BBK Under-drive pullys, Flex fan, Edelbrock 255 fuel pump,BBK equal length Headers,BBK off road H pipe,3 chamber flowsmasters, Jet Chip,3:73 gears,BBK short throw shifter and im tired of typing ad more later
Old 10-31-2008, 11:51 PM
cleanfitty
4th Gear Member

Word!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Info on a 1990 5.0 Califonia Edition Mustang