MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-general-discussion-87/)
-   -   Ahhh horrible gas milage (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-general-discussion/494744-ahhh-horrible-gas-milage.html)

5.0stang123 11-02-2008 08:36 PM

Ahhh horrible gas milage

K I dont know what i should be getting to a tank but im getting a max of 250 KM to a tank so thats 155 miles to a tank for you guys. I just replaced the 02 sensors hoping it would make a diff, but it didnt really. Spark plugs and wires are good too, fuel filter is about 2 yearss old, air filter is fine. Dont know why im getting such bad milage. Also im going through oil fast, got to fill it up every 3-4 tanks, yet there is no oil on ground and thers no smoke so i dont know where its going.......

saleenpride1986 11-02-2008 09:12 PM

Well, that sounds about the same as my gas mileage except a little bit better, i go around 130-140 before i fill up and thats if im going the entire tank to empty. If your mods are correct and you have no other mods you should be getting a few more miles before you should have to fill up.

You said you go through oil very fast, even though it's not dripping you still can have a leak. check your seals that you can without having to pull the motor and see if there's anything that appears like i could have a leak, it quite possibly can effect your mileage if something is not working like it should.

.boB 11-02-2008 09:44 PM

I get better mileage than that from my 427. If I can keep my foot out of it.

One of the first indicaters of a problem is loss of fuel mileage. That means something is not working correctly. If you're getting a lot of oil in the cylinders, you'll lose mileage. Oil can only go to two places - the ground, and the combustion chamber. Pull the plugs and see what they look like.

Timspony 11-03-2008 11:39 AM

Maybe it's time for a good overall tune-up....

5.0stang123 11-03-2008 01:59 PM

Um no it just had a tune up from the previous owner. Only thing it needs is a cap and rotor but i dont think thats got to do anything with milage? Plugs and wires are great.

crueheadstang87 11-03-2008 03:20 PM

Maybe injectors need cleaning or something

Timspony 11-03-2008 03:50 PM

How about the fuel & air filter and tire pressure...also, check your engine timing....

ryan_89_mustang 11-03-2008 04:13 PM

I'm getting around 300km to the tank at maximum. I also loose about a quart every 2 weeks. Is your driving mostly around town or something?

5.0stanger 11-03-2008 05:18 PM

How do you drive it?

Have you pulled your codes? Any CEL? The ECU will tell you whats wrong if a sensor is bad or out of spec.

5.0stang123 11-03-2008 11:11 PM

Well i had the check engine light on but the o2's fixed that problem. Im dont have liek any experiance mechanicly so i get shops to do stuff for me unless its very very basic lol. Tire pressure is at like 34 psi. Fuel filter should be good, how often should these be changed? Also when i got my friend to rev the car up while i was behind it it sprayed a bucnh of liquid on the ground i tihnk its oil? It also smokes a bit after its shutoff. It only sprays if its idling for a bit thne u rev it. I do drive msotly around town and im young and just got my license so i have been driving the car like a mustang lol. But still even when i try to get good milage it doesnt really make a diff. Timing is 12 degrees and i run chevron 87 octane.