5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Turbo or abort mission?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 09:13 AM
DeltaElite121
2nd Gear Member

Default Turbo or abort mission?

If I can get two rebuilt (zero miles) garrett t3/t4's for a twin turbo setup for $400, would you guys take it? I am just throwing this around, as I am thinking with this setup (I have a fully built 302 with everything, so we're looking at 320HP to the ground or so to take a guess) I can reach the max potential of a stock block 302 engine with a little kick from spooling.

This also means I would need all the downpiping, plumbing, etc. I know someone who could help me with the installation, and he's very good with performance cars, so installing them shouldn't be a problem.

Has anyone run a setup like this? I would expect there wouldn't be any kind of turbo lag because I have a full exhaust, and also have enough power to spool the turbo's relatively easily since they aren't exactly big or anything. Any advice appreciated. I'm not ZOMG TRUBO!!11 but I think it would be a fun thing to surprise people with on the road.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, as it's either this or it's a used T-56 for my other car so I'm juggling my options here with the little money I do have scrounged up. I am also not worried about the computer tables/computer because my girlfriend knows how to change those values, and tune blown/turbo cars of all shapes and sizes.

- This is a more 'is it worth the money and effort to install' over anything. Thanks guys
Old 11-05-2008, 10:36 AM
saleenpride1986
2nd Gear Member

is it just for the head units or does this include any of the necessary tubes and parts?
Old 11-05-2008, 10:48 AM
DeltaElite121
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by saleenpride1986
is it just for the head units or does this include any of the necessary tubes and parts?
This is just for the turbo's themselves. I'd need to buy the piping, plumbing, intercooler, BOV, and my headers should work fine. This is possibly where things start getting expensive, but I think I have some of the fabrication covered, if not most of it. I know someone who can do it, and do it correctly.

So two fresh rebuilt Garrett T3/T4 50 trim turbo's. I hand in $400 for them both.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:36 PM
Almosthitasingle

Originally Posted by DeltaElite121
If I can get two rebuilt (zero miles) garrett t3/t4's for a twin turbo setup for $400, would you guys take it? I am just throwing this around, as I am thinking with this setup (I have a fully built 302 with everything, so we're looking at 320HP to the ground or so to take a guess) I can reach the max potential of a stock block 302 engine with a little kick from spooling.

This also means I would need all the downpiping, plumbing, etc. I know someone who could help me with the installation, and he's very good with performance cars, so installing them shouldn't be a problem.

Has anyone run a setup like this? I would expect there wouldn't be any kind of turbo lag because I have a full exhaust, and also have enough power to spool the turbo's relatively easily since they aren't exactly big or anything. Any advice appreciated. I'm not ZOMG TRUBO!!11 but I think it would be a fun thing to surprise people with on the road.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, as it's either this or it's a used T-56 for my other car so I'm juggling my options here with the little money I do have scrounged up. I am also not worried about the computer tables/computer because my girlfriend knows how to change those values, and tune blown/turbo cars of all shapes and sizes.

- This is a more 'is it worth the money and effort to install' over anything. Thanks guys

wow you'd trust a woman to mess with your car.. must be crazy.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:53 PM
DeltaElite121
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Almosthitasingle
wow you'd trust a woman to mess with your car.. must be crazy.
She built my 89 GTA from the ground up. Supercharged 383 stroker with custom paint (VERY experienced painter), interior, and stenciling/graphics (like the firehawk on the hood.) Built it, tuned it, painted it. I need to get it dyno'd, but I am thinking that car sits right around 600HP. Certainly the most I've ever witnessed personally/owned, especially for only being 21 on my part.

Normally I wouldn't trust a female to even lock my doors, but I had no idea she could do that until after I started a relationship with her and said "one of these days I want to own a _______" and that's when I figured it out because she went out, bought one, and fixed it up to the max for me.

It's weird when your girlfriend knows more than you do by a mile about cars, but still acts like a girl. Let's just put it that way. That's the story behind that, though. O_O

Last edited by DeltaElite121; 11-05-2008 at 12:58 PM.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:47 PM
Almosthitasingle

She built my 89 GTA from the ground up. Supercharged 383 stroker with custom paint (VERY experienced painter), interior, and stenciling/graphics (like the firehawk on the hood.) Built it, tuned it, painted it. I need to get it dyno'd, but I am thinking that car sits right around 600HP. Certainly the most I've ever witnessed personally/owned, especially for only being 21 on my part.

Normally I wouldn't trust a female to even lock my doors, but I had no idea she could do that until after I started a relationship with her and said "one of these days I want to own a _______" and that's when I figured it out because she went out, bought one, and fixed it up to the max for me.

It's weird when your girlfriend knows more than you do by a mile about cars, but still acts like a girl. Let's just put it that way. That's the story behind that, though. O_O
thats pretty impressive. youre a pretty lucky dude, id hold on to that girl for awhile. where did she learn all of this?
Old 11-05-2008, 02:21 PM
DeltaElite121
2nd Gear Member

thats pretty impressive. youre a pretty lucky dude, id hold on to that girl for awhile. where did she learn all of this?
Her dad owns a shop in philly, and he taught her how to paint, build cars, etc. He's an avid collector, and has a speed shop while also doing top notch restorations. Apparently a really big MOPAR guy as well, but I haven't really talked to him much. What part of IL do you live in? Do you live near St.Louis? I'm supposed to be getting a messload of parts for my Mustang, and if you are looking for something I can try to help you out if you're nearby and just hand it off to you whenever I get my parts when she comes back here after visiting family.

I'm really lucky actually, but it's very different. You always wonder if something like this is possible, and when you actually run into it, it can be almost disorienting with just how drastically different things are when a girl knows so much about cars. I remember a few months ago she was getting paid to sit on call/ rebuild engines at dirt track racing. She's done everything from machine work to paint to race engine repair and building. Pretty weird when I'm working on my car trying to find the right socket and she digs around in the toolbox and says "try this one" ...
Old 11-05-2008, 02:34 PM
Almosthitasingle

Her dad owns a shop in philly, and he taught her how to paint, build cars, etc. He's an avid collector, and has a speed shop while also doing top notch restorations. Apparently a really big MOPAR guy as well, but I haven't really talked to him much. What part of IL do you live in? Do you live near St.Louis? I'm supposed to be getting a messload of parts for my Mustang, and if you are looking for something I can try to help you out if you're nearby and just hand it off to you whenever I get my parts when she comes back here after visiting family.

I'm really lucky actually, but it's very different. You always wonder if something like this is possible, and when you actually run into it, it can be almost disorienting with just how drastically different things are when a girl knows so much about cars. I remember a few months ago she was getting paid to sit on call/ rebuild engines at dirt track racing. She's done everything from machine work to paint to race engine repair and building. Pretty weird when I'm working on my car trying to find the right socket and she digs around in the toolbox and says "try this one" ...
well thats a pretty sweet deal. 98% of girls are completely clueless when it comes to cars and the ones that are usually look like a butch. I'm from collinsville but living in edwardsville for school right now.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:06 PM
DeltaElite121
2nd Gear Member

well thats a pretty sweet deal. 98% of girls are completely clueless when it comes to cars and the ones that are usually look like a butch. I'm from collinsville but living in edwardsville for school right now.
She goes to school at SIUE as well, and I'll be transferring there next semester. I live in O'fallon, though. Do you need anything in particular? I can talk to her and see if she can grab a good deal for you.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:58 PM
Almosthitasingle

She goes to school at SIUE as well, and I'll be transferring there next semester. I live in O'fallon, though. Do you need anything in particular? I can talk to her and see if she can grab a good deal for you.

oh wow thats cool
i actually dont need anything really, been looking around for a place to get my car painted, not really in a big hurry or anything

Quick Reply: Turbo or abort mission?