5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

might get a 5.0 soon. any adive

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 08:56 PM
blee69mustang
4th Gear Member

Default might get a 5.0 soon. any adive

I've had my car 4.6 since i was 15.now 18 and want a faster car(mustang). i've put all my money into the suspension and what not and misc minor engine stuff. but to build a 4.6 is kinda expensive, only thing relatively cheap is suspension, thats why i have a ful build road racing/ drift suspension. and im looking into a foxbody 5.0, i know parts are way cheaper. i plan to build a 5.0 motor next fall in my auto shop and twin turbo it. i already have a couple grand saved up and i still need to sell my car and by next fall and me working alot i should have enough money for everything. but im wondering how fast and reliable are the 5.0. stories are nice. how much power with a n/a and tt 5.0 make.

thanks guys
Old 11-19-2008, 09:04 PM
jzandy
1st Gear Member

in my opinion 5.0 engine is the best engine ford has made and anyone for that matter in that size category. I know guys who have had 3-4 hundred thousand miles on the original block. How tough are they, well my buddy bought a 331 stroker motor 2 years ago and wouldn't put it into the car until he blown the 302 (why i dont know) but anyway he really set out to blow this thing, took the rev limiter off and just beat the livin **** out of it. To this day the 331 still is sittin in the garage and the 302 is still runnin strong. Also with the right mods on such a light car you'll never look back, unless you lookin at the car you just killed in the rear view mirror.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:12 PM
nasty90
2nd Gear Member

I would drop the couple grand in the 4.6, any tt setup that is daily driver reliable would be insainly expensive. Your stock heads are fine for now. Do cam, headers, gears. intake. if you really need that boost in power spend 500 on a nos kit.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:13 PM
redpony88
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jzandy
in my opinion 5.0 engine is the best engine ford has made and anyone for that matter in that size category. I know guys who have had 3-4 hundred thousand miles on the original block. How tough are they, well my buddy bought a 331 stroker motor 2 years ago and wouldn't put it into the car until he blown the 302 (why i dont know) but anyway he really set out to blow this thing, took the rev limiter off and just beat the livin **** out of it. To this day the 331 still is sittin in the garage and the 302 is still runnin strong. Also with the right mods on such a light car you'll never look back, unless you lookin at the car you just killed in the rear view mirror.
lmao nice. i do agree with him

but what advice are you really looking for? as in what issues to look for?
also are you getting a fox or a sn95. i own both and you cant ask me to choose sides lol
Old 11-19-2008, 09:17 PM
redpony88
4th Gear Member

if you're looking for over all speed, then get a fox i like the 4 eyes best and a carb will be a nice easy car to build, no computer bs, just a screwdriver tuner.
and you can do turbos on a carb just gotta have either an enclosure or a blowthrough carb
Old 11-19-2008, 09:50 PM
Five0hFox
3rd Gear Member

If you have all your orig suspension stuff you could swap it all back in and buy a 94-95 GT and put it all in there. Then you spend money on go-fast, not suspension.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:09 PM
blee69mustang
4th Gear Member

i'm looking more for a foxbody. i've thought about all my options because i wanted to build a 5.0 for my 69fastback but my dad wont let me. im looking for a fox around 89-93. i want it fuel injected. just kinda wanna know the things to look for and the things to stay away from on those years. and i know the 5.0 are prob the best engine ever built by ford, thats why i want one hah. i wanna stay away from the 4.6 for right now, just personal preference.
just looking for any ones in-put, feel free to say what you guys want.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:16 PM
86_GT_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ksranger
If you have all your orig suspension stuff you could swap it all back in and buy a 94-95 GT and put it all in there. Then you spend money on go-fast, not suspension.
That would be a good idea
Old 11-20-2008, 09:03 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Originally Posted by blee69mustang
i'm looking more for a foxbody. i've thought about all my options because i wanted to build a 5.0 for my 69fastback but my dad wont let me. im looking for a fox around 89-93. i want it fuel injected. just kinda wanna know the things to look for and the things to stay away from on those years. and i know the 5.0 are prob the best engine ever built by ford, thats why i want one hah. i wanna stay away from the 4.6 for right now, just personal preference.
just looking for any ones in-put, feel free to say what you guys want.
If I were you I would slap him and ask if hes crazy, but if I was him I would let you build it but not drive it until you are a little older. Can't take the chance with that nice classic. If you are wanting to start from scratch and throw a TT on it I would go for a 351w. They are much stronger than the 302, alot of 302 parts will fit the 351, and you have more cubes which always means more power! Good luck and welcome to the 5.0's!
Old 11-20-2008, 09:18 AM
jzandy
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by projectresto83
If I were you I would slap him and ask if hes crazy, but if I was him I would let you build it but not drive it until you are a little older. Can't take the chance with that nice classic. If you are wanting to start from scratch and throw a TT on it I would go for a 351w. They are much stronger than the 302, alot of 302 parts will fit the 351, and you have more cubes which always means more power! Good luck and welcome to the 5.0's!
I agree with the TT you will probably want the bigger block for that setup because you will crack a 302 with that much horse. but if you stay with the 302 just get a super charger and I think the 302's can handle up to 400-450 horse.

Quick Reply: might get a 5.0 soon. any adive