5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

stroker motor

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 06:56 PM
woodsy
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by PJB
Ive been looking at the Ford Strokers site but the motor easily goes over $2400 without shipping and takes a while to build.
Ask me I am the owner, I am right here. A shortblock like you requested in your post is 1895.00. As for taking awhile, yes they are all hand built one at a time, no mass production. I am at any given time 20-30 engines on order, I let that speak for my work. Would love to help you but if your looking to order a shortblock and have it next week, that wont happen with me.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:56 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

when it's all said and done a complete short block with cam for a stroker will be hard to come by under 2k from someone reputable and most short blocks won't have a cam
Old 11-20-2008, 06:59 PM
woodsy
3rd Gear Member

Yes short block in its well known definition is block, crank, rod, pistons, rings, bearings, freeze plugs, cam bearings, all machined and assembled.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:03 PM
PJB
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by woodsy
Ask me I am the owner, I am right here. A shortblock like you requested in your post is 1895.00. As for taking awhile, yes they are all hand built one at a time, no mass production. I am at any given time 20-30 engines on order, I let that speak for my work. Would love to help you but if your looking to order a shortblock and have it next week, that wont happen with me.
Well I was adding things I thought I need like a balancer since my current setup has a 50 ounce balance and not 28 and then a new flywheel. If I dont need that stuff it would be great since my current flywheel is new.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:07 PM
PJB
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
when it's all said and done a complete short block with cam for a stroker will be hard to come by under 2k from someone reputable and most short blocks won't have a cam
I have a custom cam in my current motor and I wont get another one. Im thinking about going with an X or Z cam.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:13 PM
woodsy
3rd Gear Member

Does it have a bolt in counterweight or is it welded?
Old 11-20-2008, 07:16 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by PJB
I have a custom cam in my current motor and I wont get another one. Im thinking about going with an X or Z cam.
whose custom cam is it?? and what's wrong with it?
Old 11-20-2008, 07:22 PM
PJB
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by woodsy
Does it have a bolt in counterweight or is it welded?
I think welded but Im not sure. Its a stock replacement from the parts store.

Originally Posted by mjr46
whose custom cam is it?? and what's wrong with it?
Ed Curtis (FTI). The car has no top end power at all and falls on its face at about 5500 rpm.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:27 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by PJB
I think welded but Im not sure. Its a stock replacement from the parts store.

Ed Curtis (FTI). The car has no top end power at all and falls on its face at about 5500 rpm.
was that cam designed specifically for the combo you have in there now??...you don't happen to know the specs do you??? also was his reccommended ps3 spring kit installed on the heads??
Old 11-20-2008, 07:53 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PJB
Where is a good place to order a stroker shortblock? I want a 347 with forged pistons and atleast 10.7:1 compression (with 58cc heads).
I want to spend $2k or less. Im on a budget and cant afford more.
DSS Level 2 Bullet. Order today will have it sitting at your door in a week. I buy my blocks from them and they come looking sterile. I tell them where I want the cyls honed and always dead on the money. I ordered a short block from them and I was impressed. If you knew me you would know that takes a lot. No decent machine shops in my area.

If a machine shop does bad work it gets around pretty quick and people are unmerciful. Ford Strokers sounds like they have it going on according to these guys. If a machine shop is behind a good bit, think of it like a good place to eat. If people are waiting in line chances are the food is great. DSS keeps a good many engines on hand and the reason they ship them so fast. Their machine work is excellant as well.
At least with Ford Strokers you have the guy that owns the place right here. That fact that he is 20 or more engines backed up should tell you something. My body guy is 8 cars behind and you have to get ready for a 2 year wait on restoration or a super paint job. I told him before I bought my car a year ago to put me on the list. He told me last week he will be ready to paint my car May.
Some things are worth waiting on.

I could eat supper right here, lol

Quick Reply: stroker motor