5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

New owner! advice on LSD and ring/pinion set?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 10:01 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Originally Posted by uedlose
just call Ford up and tell them you need the clutches kit for the Trac-Lock 8.8 and they will fix you up. I think the kit is like $65 or so but it has been a while since I got some. I do know they have some Carbon fiber ones out now that are a bit more but still not bad and I have never used the carbon fiber ones myself so I cant say much about them.
The carbon fiber are a good choice, I run them in my car. About a 100 bux from Summit
Old 11-21-2008, 10:13 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

ive heard LSD is really good, never really felt the need to try it... oh wait you mean the limited slip

Originally Posted by Shelty
4:10s will be fine for highway use... just make sure you find real Ford Racing 4:10s.. from what I heard the yare better than Motive 4:10s...
every vehicle that i had regeared i used motive gears in and never had a proble with any of them
Old 11-21-2008, 11:57 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

^^ I heard the are noisy vs the ford racing gears
Old 11-22-2008, 07:31 AM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

Huntington is a be far from us but there are lots of car guy down around the area and lots of rice (sorry LOL) seen you are rotary guy I have seen some bad ones out there that is for sure. I am a few miles SW from MJ. Why the big move? here check out this site you can start meeting car people from there. now.http://www.wvstreets.com/forums/index.php?
Old 11-22-2008, 07:59 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

As far as gear brand choices go I tell all my customers to Go with the Ford Motorsports gears. The Motive Gear is my second choice. I've installed a few Summit Gears and well as Jegs gear sets and most of them have some real light noise. I've never had a set of noisy Ford Motorsport gears. All rears will make some noise if you listen had enough.If you want a tough gear buy the Richmond Gear. I don't like them for street use. You only need stand under the car to hear them. I always use Syn gear oil and Skunk oil (friction modifier). Also one thing that hasn't been mentioned as of yet is when rebuilding the Trac-loc is to soak the clutches in friction modifier before assembly. If you don't you will wear half of your clutches away in the first few turns and wonder where that loud noise is coming from.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:40 AM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Shelty
^^ I heard the are noisy vs the ford racing gears
if your installer is smarter then a monkey they wont be noisey, i never heard a peap out of any of mine. hell half of the ford gears made are made by motive

and i dont like synthetics in the rear end, i just run straight GL-4/GL-5 in my vehicles
Old 11-25-2008, 03:29 AM
Alex-7
2nd Gear Member

Well, thanks again to all for the shopping list for my 3rd member. You guys have sold me on 4.10s. I was nervous because I have them in my RX-7 and first gear is REALLY short. I hate that. But if it'll be tamer in an aod I'm all for waking this sloth up as much as I can while I'm in there.

And about Left Va, no emissions was a bit of a factor in moving there. haha! kansas is the same way. gotta love it! I'll check out that other forum too!

Couple other questions if anyone wants to give me some insight without starting a new thread.

Exhaust:

I had flowmaster 40s put on this thing the day I bought it just so I could tell I'd bought a mustang and not a tarus. everything else is stock.

First, Is my factory catback with the flows swapped in adequate? Or should I have bought an aftermarket catback with larger pipe?

Second, I know an H or X pipe is and headers is coming next. I'm having trouble deciding on an off road mid section or a catted one. I don't want it to be too loud but I'd rather spend half as much and buy one without cats. will the off road style make it REALLY loud with the flowmasters and headers or do you think I''ll be able to deal with it? I do want it louder than it is now, but not annoying.

And third, does doing a full exhaust on these cars really make a noticeable difference? I've done them on smaller motored cars in the past and it hasnt really been a noticeable gain (except for noise) untill I started getting into port work and other major engine mods. Just wondering if it'll be worth my while to do the rest of the exhaust, or wait until I do a H/C/I swap to start thinking about it?

Thanks again!