MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-general-discussion-87/)
-   -   How much paint? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-general-discussion/500390-how-much-paint.html)

projectresto83 11-26-2008 05:18 PM

How much paint?

How much paint does it normally take to spray one coat over the entire car, engine bay, door jams, everything? I know it can vary some due to how fast you move. When I spray my car I will probably do myself so I am curious on how much I will need.

uedlose 11-26-2008 06:00 PM

what color and you do know that one coat is not enough right. it also depends on what color sealer you will use under it. if I was going to do it like you say and had a good covering color I could get by with a gallon of paint and the paint I use mixes 1to1 so I would have 2 gallons that would leave me so left over and that would be with a color that covers ok but not great. with a good covering color you may get by with 1/2 gallon but I think that would be pushing it. also the paint I am talking of would be a B/C not a single stage.

projectresto83 11-26-2008 06:17 PM

Yea I know one coat won't complete the car but I can add what I need into the equation from what I need for one coat. I am looking into using the duplicolor single stage that is ready to use out of the can. I have heard good things about it.

BlessedHellride 11-26-2008 06:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Some colors don't cover as well as others. What color are you wanting to spray your car? Lighter colors usually takes a little over a gallon to properly cover all the jams, trunk and car body correctly. I just painted my car 3 weeks ago and I used two quarts of an Orange base coat first, then a gallon of my Firemist Orange and finished the clear coat which took the whole gallon. My paint mixes 2 to 1 which gives me 1.5 gallons of Firemist orange. If I wouldn't of put a generic orange down as a base, I would of ran out of paint to cover my car. My paint is almost like a candy, it doesn't cover worth a dam. Like I said, it all depends on what color you are going to want the car. What ever color you pick, try and find a primer that is close to the base color you choose. It helps the base color cover better because you won't have to put the paint on as heavy to cover the same area. If you are looking for a great deal on some paint, look at www.tcpglobal.com I used their paint and it is pretty good stuff. I was actually impressed how well it layed out on my car.

projectresto83 11-26-2008 07:13 PM

I am looking into getting a dark dark blue

nitrous_bob 11-26-2008 08:02 PM

2 qts should be plenty of single stage paint

rmodel65 11-26-2008 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by projectresto83 (Post 5692726)
Yea I know one coat won't complete the car but I can add what I need into the equation from what I need for one coat. I am looking into using the duplicolor single stage that is ready to use out of the can. I have heard good things about it.

isnt that lacquer?? dont use that crap, buy some urethane single stage it will shine and last longer. either nason(dupont) or omni/shopline(PPG) out of those i prefer the omni. also keep in mind if later down the road you want to go BC/CC or urethane single stage you will have to strip all of that off or it will react.

BlessedHellride 11-26-2008 08:59 PM

Don't go with single stage enamel or urethane. Use the 2 part base / clear set up.

rmodel65 11-26-2008 09:30 PM

theres nothing wrong with single stage, unless you want to buff metallics are a no go, but solids are fine to buff on.

projectresto83 11-26-2008 09:33 PM

Can anyone else recommend a website that sells quality paint at a good price and has good color selections?