5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

anxiety about workin on your car

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 01:55 PM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

hell, after adjusted rocker arms several times, its been quite some time since i have done it, i will still go look up the directions first to make sure im doing it right. im just super **** wit hthis car and making sure everything is right.

right now im in the middle of doing the battle boxes, upper and lower...making them from scratch... o yea i was like i dont know how in the heck this is going to work lol
but i started on it and got easier as i went. now i got to make sure the lower bracket is right and then drill my holes...that makes me nervous lol
Old 11-29-2008, 02:04 PM
volcomchester18
3rd Gear Member

haha, I remember once I was working on this ford countor. I had just put a new engine in it. Everything seemed fine, went for a test drive car went on fire! LOL . The engine bay was so tight I didnt see postive wire touching the exaust. After that incident I lost my confidence for a few days haha.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:22 PM
ponyponer
2nd Gear Member

i will have had my license 21 years in march, and i have not been to a mechanic since that same month. when i first got my 73 mach 1 when i had just turned 17 my mom, and grandfather suggested i take it to a mechanic to have it checked over to see if it needed anything. well it spent about 10 days at this shop when all it needed was 2 new front tires. i had my license, and a acar yet i still was walking to school while my car sat over there. from then on i learned how to change my oil did it myself. early in the next school year my senior year which was 7 or 8 months later i had an embarrassing problem in the school parking lot after school as i was leaving. the car had a brake warning light on for almost 2 months before this. people told me to check my fluid level, and i did it was fine. well the calipers locked, and started a fire in the parking lot. a dude who i went to school with luckily had a fire extinguisher, and put it out, and pulled me back to my driveway with his truck.

he had been taking auot mechanics at the vocational school, and toook a look at it for me. told me my calipers locked, and i needed to overhaul my brake system cause of the fire. he offered to do it for me for cheap. i asked him if i could do it myself, and he recommended me to pick up a haynes manual and it would tell me everything i needed to know to fix it. i had a tool set, and did it myself. from then on i changed everything on my car. thermostat, head gaksets, tie rods, ball joints, alternators, water pumps, fuel pumps, belts, hoses. so haven't been to a mechanic since i was 17. if i need help with something i have quite a few friends who are knowledgeable, and gimme a hand if i need it.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:26 PM
volcomchester18
3rd Gear Member

yeah **** mechanics man, they do ****ty work and charge a **** load. I also havent gave my car to mechanic since I was 17. Unless the car is under warranty, let them deal with it. ha
Old 11-29-2008, 03:31 PM
USMC1775
4th Gear Member

The time I brought my car to a muffler shop (closest thing to a mechanic Ive done), the ****er lit my interior on fire and burnt up my pass seat, carpet and console
Old 11-29-2008, 06:27 PM
cch
3rd Gear Member

Must admit, I too have the oil OCD. Doing the first oil change on my car was one of the most nervous times of my life. Everything was going well, I drained the old oil, put back the plug, changed the filter and filled 'er with new oil. Well I must admit it was kind of a touchy moment; my first car and first oil change (on it). But I figured I would go back and recheck the plug, ya know, just to make sure it was tight. Well don't ya suppose I came on the plug and stripped the *astard. =) Oh well, Live and learn!