5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

door pins

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 02:52 AM
q8stang
3rd Gear Member

Default door pins

can any one explain to me how it works? my lower one needs replacement i know because the door is lower than it needs to be which makes it hard to close it i bought the part i think i need last month and have no clue how it works here is a picture of what i bought

thanks
Attached Thumbnails door pins-kit38395.jpg  
Old 12-05-2008, 09:15 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

the two little deals are sleeves that slide over the pin. they fit inside on the top and bottom of the door hinge. and the little hole you slide a cotter pin or whatever inside it. they are a pain to install with your fenders on.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:23 AM
FORD TOUGH
4th Gear Member

It does sound like you need new pins. You did buy the right part. You need 2 pin and bushing kits. You will want to replace both the upper and lower pin. Also you will want to check your striker for wear. If it is bad replace it. Your local auto parts store will have it. You will need a buddy to help you. You will also need a floor jack or a engine hoist with a old serpentine belt to support the door. The first thing you may want to do is tape the door and the fender to keep the from getting scratched. You knock the door pins out (while having it supported). You move the door away from the car and remove the bushings. Then you put the bushings in and put the door back on the car. Then you install the new pins. If you need a new striker it takes a large torx bit to remove it. The striker is a adjustment for the door. If you do replace the striker DO NOT slam the door you need to close it slowly til you get it adjusted. It may take some time to get it adjusted. It is a pretty hard job to remove the door pins. Be sure to have a helper.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:12 PM
crusin92red5.0
3rd Gear Member

don't mean to hi jack, but how exactly do you know your pins and bushings are bad or the hinge itself is bad. my driver door sags like no other, you can lift the door prob and inch and you can see movement in the lower hinge. sometimes i have to lift the door when shutting it so that it will actually close. thanks.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:14 PM
q8stang
3rd Gear Member

i lifted my door and looked at the pins at the same time (my friend was lifting the door) and noticed that only the bottom pin was moving
Old 12-05-2008, 07:18 PM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

the hinges are pretty fukin solid, most likely the bushing on the pins are worn out, they are copper I believe, anyway its been covered above on how to do it, I used a hi-powered drill and drill out the tops of the stock pins and they fell out, but I had the door unsupported and bent the lower most tab in the hinges, now I cant slide a cotter pin on the bottom pin and have to hit it with a hammer every once in awhile because it works its way out over time
Old 12-05-2008, 07:22 PM
crusin92red5.0
3rd Gear Member

cool i'm gonna buy the pins and bushings right now cuz if i don't do it now it will never get done.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:11 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

i have that same problem i think im going to make that another one of the 100 things to do this winter.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:40 PM
jtmustang
5th Gear Member

i did both of my doors with the fenders on..

and yes most of the time its the bushing that is worn out
Old 12-08-2008, 06:16 PM
19MustangGT90
1st Gear Member

i had the same problem. I cut the bottom pin in half w/ a dremel and worked the 2 halfs out, it took about an hour, but once on it was easy to get it back in. I had my dad help me, kind of twist and lift the door to slip the bushings in, it defintely takes atleast two people.

Quick Reply: door pins