5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

how hard is it to assemble an engine?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 11:36 PM
kweb288
5th Gear Member

Default how hard is it to assemble an engine?

I was looking at a DIY 331/347 short block kit from woody, just wondering how difficult it is? anything special i need to know?
Old 12-06-2008, 11:40 PM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

To do it right you need a lot of special tools. I've assembled motors that ran just fine before without measure a single clearance though. Just slapping them together and run em. I don't suggest doing this though, I've killed a motor this way also.

To do it right I suggest getting an inside micrometer at minimum and a feeler gauge. You might want to get a camshaft degreeing kit also. Depending on your top end setup if it isn't stock parts you should get a pushrod length checked as well.

BTW where do you get a DIY short block from. I'm not familiar with woody?

Last edited by ZachW04Stang; 12-06-2008 at 11:43 PM.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:45 PM
kweb288
5th Gear Member

ya i understand there are special tools and things that need to be done, just wondering if it woudl be out of reach for myself. Im 21, have done cam swaps, tran swaps, rebuilt rearend, put in a shift kit, and a load of suspension, so i do know my waay around cars. My dad would be helping with the process
Old 12-06-2008, 11:50 PM
dudeboy
3rd Gear Member

Jim Woods, owner of www.FordStrokers.com

If you have done all that work, then you should have the right tools.
Ring compressor
Torque wrench

Shouldn't need bore gages and what-not for Jims parts...
Old 12-06-2008, 11:51 PM
kweb288
5th Gear Member

www.fordstrokers.com
a lot of the guy's on here have used him, and they all say greathings about him
Old 12-07-2008, 12:09 AM
jtmustang
5th Gear Member

id say its not hard at all its just all the fine points/clearances that need to be checked and addressed.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:45 AM
nasty90
2nd Gear Member

It kinda like having sex for the first time, your nervous and excited and you really want to do for braggin rights so you can tell your friends i built that/hit that. but its not that bad once you get started. just take your time and do it right, no short cuts.your only cheeting yourself. get a good manual and dig in.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:25 AM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nasty90
It kinda like having sex for the first time, your nervous and excited and you really want to do for braggin rights so you can tell your friends i built that/hit that. but its not that bad once you get started. just take your time and do it right, no short cuts.your only cheeting yourself. get a good manual and dig in.
That is the best advice ....... it really isn't that difficult, just pay attention to the details most would usually overlook or take for granted.... they do make a difference. Mains and rods clearances, piston ring gaps, oil pump pickup clearance, PtV, degreeing cam, valve train geometry, etc, etc. You made a great choice BTW.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:51 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kweb288
I was looking at a DIY 331/347 short block kit from woody, just wondering how difficult it is? anything special i need to know?
#1 make sure you have a clean dry place to do the assembly.

Make sure your block is clean (never assume anything is ready to build)

Make sure you use a good assembly lube

Clean each part before you install it (just blow the dust off)

Look over every part carefully to check for nicks, cracks. (I've seen brand new pistons with cracked skirts that were damaged during shipment)

Make sure to check your clearances, double check anything you torque make sure you index your rings and if you are ever in doubt about anything, stop and ask someone. Don't let your pride get in the way

I can't put enough importance on having a clean place to build your engine and keeping your hands clean during the build. Buy yourself an engine bag (it's just a big thick plastic bag) to wrap your engine in while you are away from it. It keeps the dust, dirt out of it while you are away from your engine.

It's not hard to do and when you get done and are driving down the road it will be a rewarding experiance that will never leave you. Personally I think it's a great idea and buying a quality stroker kit Shortblock from someone who has a great reputation insures you are getting a quality product instead of buying a cheap Ebay stroker kit and throwing it into a questionable block.

I've been doing this for a long long time and I still get a little giddy when I fire up a new build. I think it's a mans way of giving birth, lol
Old 12-07-2008, 10:07 AM
USMC1775
4th Gear Member

I had been looking into the same kits a little while back, so far I havent rebuilt a 302 bottom end, but I have done a 429, 460, 400M and 3.8 V6 (dads SC Tbird lol). Its really not hard, its all been said above

Quick Reply: how hard is it to assemble an engine?