5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Cam specs w/patriots?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 12:18 AM
FoxTuner

Default Cam specs w/patriots?

I'm running patriot performance heads and 1.6 rockers. Bottom is stock.

Anybody running a similar set up? What kind of cam specs are you getting away with?
Old 12-09-2008, 12:21 AM
jtmustang
5th Gear Member

what kind of question is this?
Old 12-09-2008, 08:33 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by FoxTuner

Anybody running a similar set up? What kind of cam specs are you getting away with?
Whenever you ask a guestion like this you need to be real specific about your set-up. headers,total induction system and so forth. While you know what you have we don't know so a question that is so vaque isn't apt to get much of a responce. Pretend we don't have our Crystal ***** plugged in and give is more information.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:36 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

you broaden your spectrum tremendously expecially when having a custon cam designed to your set up
Old 12-09-2008, 11:37 AM
FoxTuner

Originally Posted by Portmaster
Whenever you ask a guestion like this you need to be real specific about your set-up. headers,total induction system and so forth. While you know what you have we don't know so a question that is so vaque isn't apt to get much of a responce. Pretend we don't have our Crystal ***** plugged in and give is more information.
I'm just tring to get an idea of what I can run before I need to worry about valve piston clearance. I don't want to buy a custom grind that I can't use in the motor, you know? I don't need and exact specs from ya, just wondering how big of a cam your getting away with.

Patriot Performance SBF heads matched to felpro #1262
Edelbrock performer matched to felpro #1262
stainless 2.02 / 1.60
double springs
1.6 full rollers
6.25 hardened comp push rods
70mm bbk throttle body
70mm bbk egr spacer
bbk equal shorties gasket matched
2 1/2 mandral o/r h pipe
2 1/2 mandrral flowmaster catback
3:73s
BBK CAI

I will be running a stall matched to the motor's powerband with the new cam.
I am installing 30lb injectors and MAS at the same time.

Last edited by FoxTuner; 12-09-2008 at 11:41 AM.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:33 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

I don't want to buy a custom grind that I can't use in the motor, you know? I don't need and exact specs from ya, just wondering how big of a cam your getting away with.

Ptv has nothing to do with how big a cam you use!!!!....it all has to do with how a cam is designed and the timing of the valve events, max LIFT DOES NOT occur at TDC so in theroy if a cam is designed for it you can use a cam with lets say .560 lift no problem on a stock bottom end with 2.02 /1.60 valves, I did just that on a friends build with no ptv issues, if the cam cam grinder knows what he is doing there is no such thing as buying a custom cam that you can't use in your motor, Hence the word "custom"!! meaning it is designed for your specific needs!!! got it??!!....here: www.flowtechinduction.com
Old 12-09-2008, 01:41 PM
jtmustang
5th Gear Member

^^or ........www.camshaftinnovations.com......
Old 12-09-2008, 02:30 PM
redpony88
4th Gear Member

i went to chet herbert cams, a fellow tech recommended them since he had worked with them before. my custom cam cost $238 shipped
Old 12-09-2008, 04:02 PM
FoxTuner

Originally Posted by mjr46
Ptv has nothing to do with how big a cam you use!!!!....it all has to do with how a cam is designed and the timing of the valve events, max LIFT DOES NOT occur at TDC so in theroy if a cam is designed for it you can use a cam with lets say .560 lift no problem on a stock bottom end with 2.02 /1.60 valves, I did just that on a friends build with no ptv issues, if the cam cam grinder knows what he is doing there is no such thing as buying a custom cam that you can't use in your motor, Hence the word "custom"!! meaning it is designed for your specific needs!!! got it??!!....here: www.flowtechinduction.com

Yes, I know.(then custom is best option www.flowtechinduction.com)

Originally Posted by redpony88
i went to chet herbert cams, a fellow tech recommended them since he had worked with them before. my custom cam cost $238 shipped
You think he knows what he is doing when it comes to patriot heads?

Last edited by mjr46; 12-09-2008 at 05:06 PM.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:01 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

You have 20° in-line heads with 2.02" OD intake valves on a stock short block..... yep, you should be concerned about possible PtV issues, specially radial PtV clearance. If you are wary or reluctant, about the possibility of having to notch those pistons, a custom cam designer is the only 100% "fail-proof" alternative to use.

Originally Posted by jtmustang
^^or ........www.camshaftinnovations.com......

Quick Reply: Cam specs w/patriots?