5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Prove or disprove...

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 07:55 AM
Slo5oh
Banned

Originally Posted by FivePointOhh
they are highschool answers for a highschool question. it would be just as, if not more, restrictive than your stock air silencer. you are putting obstructions in front of naturally flowing air. there is nothing else helping the air through the intercooler other than the engines vac itself.

if you want some dyno numbers go buy an intercooler and get a dyno with it hooked up. and post it up.

if you are looking at cooler the air temp going into the motor just run a phenolic spacer. proven power and you drastically lower the upper intake for a little while until it obtains "room temp" of the enginebay but still maintains relatively cooler than the lower intake. since the upper intake would not be touching the lower via a metal heat transferring substrate it shall remain cooler longer giving you some more power at the cost of...25 bucks?

why do you want see evidence so badly of an intercooler ran n/a? im sure its been done before and it sucked...thats why its not a common mod since its a relatively inexpensive part.
sorry, but I dont even read your posts anymore.

Last edited by Slo5oh; 12-10-2008 at 08:04 AM.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:55 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Legion5
The intercooler will NOT help an N/A car because the intake temperature will be the same as the exterior temperature. On charged cars the air becomes hot when compressed and even then sometimes an intercooler will reduce performance due to the restriction vs gain of bringing hot air down into itself. It has happened before.

The thing is though that you're running intake temperatures that are barley different from the intercooler AND you're not running pressurized air which makes it exponentially harder to get through a restrictive intercooler, so if the fact that you can setup an intercooler to loose power exists on a charged car, it must be true that you'll lose power on a N/A car because you're giving it the worst possible chance for the gain to exceed the loss, in fact you're probably negating the existence of the gain part in the first place.
I heard that somewhere before, hahahaha!!!!!!
Old 12-10-2008, 07:57 AM
Slo5oh
Banned

Originally Posted by mjr46
cool dense air charge entering intake will make hp and help for a lower et, 2 years ago I had a friend I met up with at the track and it was in the 80's that day and best et he could get was 14.02 in his vette, he asked me how to lower his et anymore that day......I asked him how much money he had, he said 5 bucks, I said good, now go buy me a bag of ice, he was confused but did it anyway, I threw it up on the intake with a towel and 35 min later I pulled it and told him to go run it.....he came back as happy as a kid in a candy store with a 13.73.......= case and point
I was not saying that ice on the intake was dumb, but rather the way in which it was presented was worthless. This is good example. Could go further, but I suppose if everyone did that people would post on a subject once and the forum would be done in a month.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:59 AM
Slo5oh
Banned

Originally Posted by Portmaster
Ok I'll try to elaborate.

Air has to be pulled through the intercooler with Vaccum from the engines intake stroke. On each intake stroke the engine pulls the air through the intercooler. As the air moves through the intercooler it has to make several 90 degree turns. As the incoming air makes a 90 degree turn the air stalls as it hits the flat walls of the intercooler (much like exhaust hitting the inside of a muffler to quiet the sound) and bounces causing turbulance in the intercooler. The pulse waves of vacuum created by the engine just enhances the turbulance. Unless the passages in the intercooler were as large and as smooth flowing as the intake tract it's a restriction. In Blower applications it has to restrict flow somewhat so the air has a chance to cool inside the intercooler. When You run a Intercooler on a blower motor the blower is compressing air and the engine is pulling a Vacuum at the same time. The compressor (blower) creates a positive pressure over what the engine can create causing boost. The intercooler isn't so much as a restriction in a case like that but the cool dence air and the ability to withsatnd more boost without detonation more than makes up for any restriction the intercooler brings to the party.

On a N/A set-up you only have the intake pulses to pull through the intercooler. The air has to "find" it's way through the intercooler and some gets "lost" in the sharp turns and thin passages. The reason for porting a head is to smooth the transition of air flow into the cylinder. The smoother the flow the better the more air the cylinder is able to pull in. Everything from port shape to the back cut of a valve affects air flow.

Even if you made all U curves through an intercooler you couldn't cool the air cooler than the ambient outside air temp (not heat index) and the cooler would still be a restriction.

Youre on your own now, lol

LoL. Your first answer was sufficiant for my taste. Thank you for elaborating though.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:04 AM
roostracing
3rd Gear Member

are you wanting to do this to your car and that is why you are inquiring slo5oh?
Old 12-10-2008, 08:05 AM
Slo5oh
Banned

Originally Posted by roostracing
are you wanting to do this to your car and that is why you are inquiring slo5oh?
I am sure if it would be valid it could be something to consider, but the question wasnt posed for that end, no. It was mear curiosity.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:18 AM
FORD TOUGH
4th Gear Member

I still do this and use a "Cool Can" as well
Cool can cools the fuel. The ice will cool the intake which will give you cooler denser air.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:24 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by FORD TOUGH
Cool can cools the fuel. The ice will cool the intake which will give you cooler denser air.
Yeah I know, On hot days we use both on carbed cars. Cool dence fuel also makes more power. In the pits we keep two blue blower fans blowing over ice. Horsepower A/C, lol
Old 12-10-2008, 10:38 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Slo5oh
I am sure if it would be valid it could be something to consider, but the question wasnt posed for that end, no. It was mear curiosity.

Ok thought of you on this one. The guy has the theory down but his practical wisdom and vehicle selection well...........not so much, lol

http://blog.cardomain.com/blog/2008/...timate-co.html

Last edited by Portmaster; 12-10-2008 at 10:43 AM.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:42 AM
Slo5oh
Banned

Ok thought of you on this one. The guy has the theory down but his practical wisdon and vehicle selection well...........not so much, lol

http://blog.cardomain.com/blog/2008/...timate-co.html
oh goodness... Is he planning on fording a river with that?
That is the worst sounding exhaust I have had the unfortunate oppertunity to hear.

Quick Reply: Prove or disprove...