5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Prove or disprove...

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 04:43 PM
Slo5oh
Banned

Default Prove or disprove...

Please either prove or disprove the effectiveness of the implimentation of an intercooler on a n/a car.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:54 PM
Milton
3rd Gear Member

i would say it would be a restriction in air flow more then anything
Old 12-09-2008, 04:56 PM
Slo5oh
Banned

Originally Posted by Milton
i would say it would be a restriction in air flow more then anything
science not speculation
Old 12-09-2008, 05:22 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

i would do methanol injection n/a before doing intercooler on n/a application. i just wouldnt do it.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:38 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Anything you can do that disrupts air flow will reduce power. For a N/A engine to have to pull air through a "Radiator" will reduce flow because of all the corners the air has to make coming through the innercooler. Not only that but the air will be hotter than the outside air temp because it will warm up. While it cools down the air coming off a blower which is really hot and cools it down the ambiant air is cooler than the innerccooler. One reason a Cold air intake makes better power is it smoothes out the transition of air from the air filter to the throttle body. To throw a radiator in the mix make the air "work harder" to get there.

It works on Blower motors because it cool down air that reaches high temps and its pushing the air through 7+ Psi make the differance. The engine doesnt have to suck the air in when you have positive pressure in the manifold so it's not affected in the innercooler for the blower motor.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:45 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

well said ^^^^, I would only use it on a SC application...
Old 12-09-2008, 06:39 PM
Slo5oh
Banned

Originally Posted by Portmaster
Anything you can do that disrupts air flow will reduce power. For a N/A engine to have to pull air through a "Radiator" will reduce flow because of all the corners the air has to make coming through the innercooler. Not only that but the air will be hotter than the outside air temp because it will warm up. While it cools down the air coming off a blower which is really hot and cools it down the ambiant air is cooler than the innerccooler. One reason a Cold air intake makes better power is it smoothes out the transition of air from the air filter to the throttle body. To throw a radiator in the mix make the air "work harder" to get there.

It works on Blower motors because it cool down air that reaches high temps and its pushing the air through 7+ Psi make the differance. The engine doesnt have to suck the air in when you have positive pressure in the manifold so it's not affected in the innercooler for the blower motor.

as you are the only person to either A. stay on topic, or B. offer something more than personal oppinion, I will pose this question then, even though I probably know the answer already: would you consider the same responce for a water to air intercooler full of sub zero antifreeze. This is assuming a track car and steering clear of the power gains vs added weight issue. Would the temperature of the water make enough of a difference to offset the restriction of the turns. Perhaps there would be something to be said about velocity?
Old 12-09-2008, 06:54 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Slo5oh
as you are the only person to either A. stay on topic, or B. offer something more than personal oppinion, I will pose this question then, even though I probably know the answer already: would you consider the same responce for a water to air intercooler full of sub zero antifreeze. This is assuming a track car and steering clear of the power gains vs added weight issue. Would the temperature of the water make enough of a difference to offset the restriction of the turns. Perhaps there would be something to be said about velocity?
You could never get the air temp down lower than ambient temp unless you used a outside cooling source for the water to air intercooler. Even then the disruption of the flow of air couldn't be offset by cooling the air 50 degrees under the ambient air and the flow would still be an issue. What oxygen you can't get in you can't burn. Think of it this way which car is faster

Car A with high flowing heads and intake on a 90 degree day
Car B with stock heads and intake on a 40 degree day

My money is on car B
Old 12-09-2008, 07:23 PM
zippo2341
2nd Gear Member

through out alot of posts i have seen and written, portmaster and timspony know what theyre talking about. if you got a question and they have an answer, my money is they are right. just my .02
Old 12-09-2008, 07:32 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Like already said before it would restrict the flow. The reason for an intercooler is to cool the compressed air from the turbo/supercharger. Compressed air heats up quickly and this is why even when you see a drop in boost you will see more power do to the much cooler air. If you are looking for hard evidence like a dyno run you probably will not find one without a power adder because it would be a waste of time.

Quick Reply: Prove or disprove...