5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Speedo Cable on this car is a PAIN!

Old 12-10-2008, 05:58 PM
nseoi
4th Gear Member

Default Speedo Cable on this car is a PAIN!

so i have been without a speedometer/odometer since i did my exhaust in like... february i think. Today i finally got around to doing it and good lawd was it a paint. I planed on this being a 1 bolt deal since ive taken it off before (from the tranny). Problem is i always did this during a clutch install, and, lo and behold, the EXHAUST hangars are pinning the damn cable to the tranny. with a whole bunch of twisting and prying i finally got it out and installed the new cable and now everything works. i did not buy any cable lube and i just used a bit of bearing grease, then when i went to throw away the old cable and the box a damn packet of cable lube fell out. seems like they supply you with a good amount of it for the install but i was too stupid to look for it.

long story short, took forever to take out speedo cable, but now i know how fast i'm going and how far ive traveled!
Old 12-10-2008, 06:19 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

hmm and the tech question is???? looks like a move is comin up!!!
Old 12-10-2008, 10:24 PM
tohoopty
4th Gear Member

good for you.you changed your speedo cable.im sure no one gives a rats ***.and make sure you keep the cable away from the exhaust so it wont melt.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:14 PM
Catchpole
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by nseoi
so i have been without a speedometer/odometer since i did my exhaust in like... february i think. Today i finally got around to doing it and good lawd was it a paint. I planed on this being a 1 bolt deal since ive taken it off before (from the tranny). Problem is i always did this during a clutch install, and, lo and behold, the EXHAUST hangars are pinning the damn cable to the tranny. with a whole bunch of twisting and prying i finally got it out and installed the new cable and now everything works. i did not buy any cable lube and i just used a bit of bearing grease, then when i went to throw away the old cable and the box a damn packet of cable lube fell out. seems like they supply you with a good amount of it for the install but i was too stupid to look for it.

long story short, took forever to take out speedo cable, but now i know how fast i'm going and how far ive traveled!

Can you tell me exactly what all you had to do to replace the cable? I've googled the hell out of it and I think I got it, but I just want to be sure.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:08 PM
tohoopty
4th Gear Member

just jack up the car,find the speedo cable and unhook everything thats holding it to the car,and then take out the gauge cluster and unhook from the back.its pretty straight forward.and its a pain to get the new cable trough the firewall.and make sure it isnt touching the exhaust when you put it back in.i dont know how many cars i see with them not working.