5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Used 89 Mustang GT help...

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 03:52 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

Question Used 89 Mustang GT help...

Hi Everyone,

I MIGHT, MIGHT be selling my car for an older Fox Mustang (hatchback) because of some personal reasons. To not beat around the bush...

What are some of the trouble areas Fox bodies (hatchback) are known to have?

What exactly should I avoid?

Where do these cars usually rust - if they do?

Do you have ANY ANY opinions or suggestions?

These answers are going to be extremely important to me and will determine if I make the right choice or not. Any advice is better than nothing. Thanks for your help (as always).

G

Last edited by mAnYsTyLeS; 12-11-2008 at 03:55 PM.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:08 PM
5.0muscle
2nd Gear Member

the two piece plastic clutch quadrant is a given with plenty of aftermarket choices that are better. also check the seat mounts in the floor board for cracks; a good welder can take of the latter
Old 12-11-2008, 04:15 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

A lot depends on the Fox that your looking at..Is it a DD? ..Weekend driver?! ...Seeing your from NY I would stay away any DD Fox because of rust issues...Always check the door skins, undercarriage, frame rails under the hood....

Always check to see if the Vin#'s still on the fenders, doors, Hatch...those are little things to look for...

Also, check see if the car has any leaking fluids...
Old 12-12-2008, 12:42 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

Yeah, the car will mostly be used on the weekends and to LEARN how to drive a manual. I don't plan on keeping it forever but if it's in good shape then I would definitely like to maintain it and keep it for as long as I can.

I just don't want to buy a lemon.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:53 PM
joeymustang
2nd Gear Member

rear hatch (where the ford logo sits) rusts, also take out the front passenger carpet since water drops there from the wiper grille (dunno the name, the one in front of the glass) and can rust the firewall/floorpan. Also check the rear floorpan for signs of stress from hard launches (wrinkled or bended) or for rust there too.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:38 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

When you go to look at the car take someone who knows these cars with you. On a personal note I don't buy anyones elses hot rod unless I personally know the car because of previous experiance with the car. What always looks good and sounds good may really be a POS underneath. Don't be afraid to take it to a Technician and pay him to look the car over and especially underneath to make sure the torque boxes arn't ripped out or has some really botched up welding done. Look down the unibody for eveidince of a major accident. I'd look for something as stock as possible. Chances are it hasn't been beat to death.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:49 PM
crusin92red5.0
3rd Gear Member

take into consideration, that it will be nothing like a new or relevantly new car. there will be creaks, noises of such that comes with the age. but i would highly suggest getting one,, you can join the exclusive 5.0 club. lol.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:52 PM
FORD TOUGH
4th Gear Member

Take it to your mechanic and have him put it on the lift and look it over for you.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:00 PM
camaroeater
4th Gear Member

one thing to know is that 88's came with speed density(except california) and 89-93 came with mass air.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:00 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

Thanks guys - this is very helpful. I'm actually going to check out the following car tomorrow... what do you honestly think? Is the price too much or too low? Opinions??

http://www.autobase.com/cgi/info.exe...ealer=agallery

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...1&aff=national

Quick Reply: Used 89 Mustang GT help...