5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Anybody have same cam as me?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 08:51 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 5.0 EFI MAN
Well as I earlier stated I really have no experience for comparison. I actually dont know where to go to get a custom ground cam and I do believe I'd like to wait for the kenne bell supercharger to purchase a cam made specific to my engine.
Any good Cam Company like Comp Cams, Crane or other various cam grinders can build you a Custom Cam BUT in order to come out on top when you have it ground you need to be absoluty sure you know what you have or what you plan to do. You need to have a wealth of information to get it right. You need to know everything from head flow at .100 up to the rear tire size you are going to use. A custom cam is just that. It is optimized to everything from driver to Piston cc. Unless you have a real good knowledge of your car in order to anywhere close to getting the cam close to being worth. The cam you get won't be any better than the information you can provide the cam grinder. If you don't have that information you are better off getting a cookie cutter cam becuuse if you give the cam grinder the wrong information you could get a cam that just won't perform as well as a well selected OTS grind.

Before you move into that custom cam arena get to know exactly what you have and go from there. If you plan on getting another set of heads or anything else wait until you have it before you talk to a custom cam grinder. There is a lot of information you need to provide. It's money well spent if you have the right information and money wasted if you give the wrong information. It won't be the fault of the cam grinder because all he has to go on is your information. If you tell him your cars weighs 2900 pounds and it really weighs 3200 and you tell him you have 11.0-1 compression and you really have 9.5-1 and you tell him your heads flow 290cfm at .500 lift when in reality they flow .265. You just wasted somewhere around 400 dollars.

Think of it like this. It's like playing guitar. A person just learning to play a guitar sounds like crap practicing on a 59 Les Paul. A great player player can make a 100 dollar guitar sound great. In the hands of a great player to the average person they couldn't tell the differance between the cheap guitar and the 59 Les Paul in the hands of the great player. In other words the guitar sonds no better than the input it receives. Same way with cam grinders. They are no better than the input they get from you. Until you get some lessons in it's better to stay off the stage.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:38 AM
Slo5oh
Banned

216/220 lift eh?
Old 12-23-2008, 01:21 PM
5.0 EFI MAN

I understand. Well few more question I have. First should I fork out the extra 40 bucks for the msd coil? I have top of the line msd wires and cap. I hear they dont actually make much of a difference but I wouldnt mind the name sitting there, but its not quite enough to get me to buy it. Does it perform better. Second question is does anyone have any negative on BBK equal shorties? I love there look and I know they'll perform over the beat up stock ones.