5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 09:41 AM
PinupGirl77
ROTM Moderator

Default Need opinions

These are a few things I would like to do with my Stang.
I am not going to make it into a drag car ( its a vert and a feature car)
Also I am not going to change anything cosmetically.

What you you think of this?

Cam
Long tube headers
Off road H pipe
K&N filter
Center force dual friction clutch

Just enough to make it louder and a little faster.
(Its way to quiet for me)
Old 12-19-2008, 09:48 AM
Projectquick
5th Gear Member

Mine has that stuff done to and plus a little more and I'm pretty happy with it for now. My suggestion would be get an X pipe instead of H. Mine has the O/R X pipe with flows and it sounds unique for a 5.0. I'd also suggest looking into Edelbrock mufflers, they sound bad ***.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:49 AM
Baddog
4th Gear Member

If sound is all you're after I would skip the cam, it's expensive to install and will do little for performance without things like an intake or heads to compliment it. Headers, H-pipe and a good set of mufflers will get you the sound you're after. Congrats on the 5-speed feature car, most are slushbox. The clutch is overkill right now as well, you don't need it.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:51 AM
Explosive

I wouldn't get flows, every body and their brother has them, you can hear a 5.0 coming miles away. We have Dynomax bullets, I'm happy with them ( links in my sig) but they might be a bit louder than what you want. Although we have long tubes going to catless H to them, so it's a pretty straight shot. Everybody thats heard the car says it has a really unique sound to it but they can't quite pin what makes it sound unique, it kind of gets their minds.

pypes is good as well. Also, If you aren't going to put heads on it I would just throw in an E-303 cam, same we have.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:56 AM
Projectquick
5th Gear Member

E cam FTL!! That's what I have, I don't know why the previous owner botherd to put it in, it hurts low end torque a bit and only helps above 5k rpms.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:56 AM
PinupGirl77
ROTM Moderator

Yeah I was getting an E303 cam. My mechanic is giving me the cam for free :-) I like it when an engine has a nice lope.

I think the clutch needs replacing and I was trying to go with something more durable?

I was thinking about the off road H because that sounds good in my 05 and I heard that the off road X can be raspy?
Old 12-19-2008, 09:57 AM
eddies92lx
2nd Gear Member

Everyon trashes flowmaster? I have bbk shorties o/r h and flowmasters and I love the sound. I have driven stock 5.0s and to be honest mine with a cam and exhaust and there is only a little diference in power, but it does sound a hell of a lot better.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:02 AM
Explosive

Originally Posted by Projectquick
E cam FTL!! That's what I have, I don't know why the previous owner botherd to put it in, it hurts low end torque a bit and only helps above 5k rpms.
Sounds like something is wrong, or you don't have a full h/c/i ?

We have the E-303 in ours, it lopes and we still have gobs of low end power.

Originally Posted by eddies92lx
Everyon trashes flowmaster? I have bbk shorties o/r h and flowmasters and I love the sound. I have driven stock 5.0s and to be honest mine with a cam and exhaust and there is only a little diference in power, but it does sound a hell of a lot better.
never said it sounded bad, but it's just such a typical sound, try to be a little different. Especially since she has a specialty model, make it stand out from the rest.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:04 AM
PinupGirl77
ROTM Moderator

I have flowmasters on my 65 and my 05 I have flowmaster axle backs and they sound good on both cars.

I don't plan on changing the mufflers on the fox because I want it to look correct for shows. I found BBK ceramic long tubes and aluminized off road H pipe online and seems to be a good deal for what I need.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:06 AM
PinupGirl77
ROTM Moderator

Ok, so the cam is still a good idea then? Cause I want some lope! LOL
I just cant believe how quiet stock 5.0's are :-(

Quick Reply: Need opinions