5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

door trim ?

Old 12-21-2008, 05:46 PM
SonicBlueFiveSlow
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by symonds86
i'll check it out the dround effects were srewed on the bottom by the pinch weld and in the wheel wells and the lifted off little channels rivited to the body i'll see if the trims the same

Yeah, I know all about those little channels. I had to replace them and it only took 4 months to get them from 50resto.com
Old 12-21-2008, 05:49 PM
SonicBlueFiveSlow
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cch
You can buy thin trim for the rear quarter windows that just go right over top the existing trim. I believe it just glues into place. Was at Fun Ford Weekend two years ago and there was a couple vendors for it with some mustangs as examples; looked real sharp! I figure if you go on late model restoration you'll probably find them there on the cheap. Good luck bud.

I believe this is what he's referring to:

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/ite...s&CatKey=74-01
Old 12-21-2008, 05:52 PM
symonds86
3rd Gear Member

thanks guys
Old 12-21-2008, 06:04 PM
cch
3rd Gear Member

SonicBlue, you are indeed correct. Thankyou
Old 12-21-2008, 06:23 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

The door molding is held on with double sided tape. For the quarter windows consider painting them. I used filler primer on mine and duplicolor engine enamel and they still look great. Got two years on the paint now.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:54 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

use piano wire to cut through the adhesive on the door molding...
Old 12-21-2008, 08:02 PM
calfroper_06
4th Gear Member

the ony thing wrong with the covers are the scratch real easy. i have a pair in the back of my car waiting to be installed but i might try filling the dryrott sports first. they are made of plastic and you know how plastic gets those sunshine mini scratch at an angle, mine came this way in the box, i guess from moving around. they are paintable tho
Old 12-22-2008, 01:53 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

be careful tho, the door mouldings have a wire running through them.... they are easy to bend
Old 12-22-2008, 02:37 PM
ponyboy302
3rd Gear Member

i think the mid door molding is just on there with double sides tape with glue or something .. youd have to put a heat gun to the molding let the glue start melting and just pull it off slow .. ive never heard of a way to fix those window moldings but i did read somewhere those covers look like crap i dont know .. but someone with skills might be able to bondo or fiberglass over it smooth it down and paint it ...
oh sh*t i didnt see there was a second page haha gotta cut down on them trees : o)

Last edited by ponyboy302; 12-22-2008 at 02:39 PM.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:49 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

Use a sharp pudy knife to take the molding off, it will be work, but the best way. Be very carful to not bend them up. After that, you WILL have to remove the metal strip in the back. I did this on all of mine and they look great. If you don't take the strip out, they will never lay flat no matter how good of a job you do removing them.

As far as the rear windows go, you have a couple of options, rear window trim covers(heard they don't look too good and they cost a few bucks) or you can sand the roughness down then use a flexible filler or a high build filler primer (that is what I did, they still look stock and like new, and it only cost less then $20) I used some seikens rally black, would highly recommend that for all your trim you want black. One can (about $15) did the whole car and it looks factory.

I could post pictures if you want to become a believer.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: door trim ?