1980 Cobra.. What's it worth? - MustangForums.com



5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-24-2008, 11:26 PM   #1
Sparky73
1st Gear Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 123
Default 1980 Cobra.. What's it worth?

Hey all. Long time since I've been to this forum .. but have been looking at another Mustang. I would like to see an average value for this 1980 Cobra if possible. The eBay listing is no longer active due to the fact that I purchased the car lol. I didn't pay $1,525 as it says in the listing. The auction would have went to Saturday (the 27th) if that helps.

Thanks!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=180315813718
Sparky73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 08:29 AM   #2
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK
 
mjr46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 30,758
Default

I'd run the vin on that one to make sure it is what you say it is cause it has an 82 front end on it and also it'd only be of some value if it were in an all original state unmolested, that one appears to have no evidence of it being a cobra
mjr46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 08:46 AM   #3
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator
 
Timspony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Burnt Hills, NY
Posts: 15,601
Default

...as stated ^^^ that car has a lot of mis-matched parts! $$$ you paid seems to be not that bad
Timspony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 08:53 AM   #4
Sparky73
1st Gear Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 123
Default

Hmm.. Well I don't know much about the old Mustangs to begin with. I did some reading.. and seen that the 80' didn't even come equipt with a 302. Is that true? I will get the VIN today, but according to the seller it is just as it states "1980 Mustang Cobra (GT)" .. even according to the title.

A lot of parts like the motor and seats are not original. I know that and it does not bother me. I just wanted a car with a decent 0-60 that I can go cruising with on the summer weekends. Would anyone have a guess on the HP it's putting out?

Any guesses on it's value? NADA says like 4700 or 4900 for good, but I know that isn't very accurate on older cars.
Sparky73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 09:13 AM   #5
Explosive
Moderator
 
Explosive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,216
Default

A cobra is not a cobra( GT) a cobra is a cobra.
Explosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 10:23 AM   #6
ACE
4th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location:
Posts: 1,213
Default

I would guess around 230 240 ish hp because he is running almost the same setup as me only through a c4. It was probly a turbo 2.3 cobra at one time of its life. 2 grand is not a bad price for what you get!
ACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 12:29 PM   #7
raven_ghostwolf
3rd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Arizona City, AZ
Posts: 936
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr46 View Post
I'd run the vin on that one to make sure it is what you say it is cause it has an 82 front end on it and also it'd only be of some value if it were in an all original state unmolested, that one appears to have no evidence of it being a cobra
It is the correct nose for the 1980 Cobra, the 1979 Pace Car, 1980 - 81 Cobras and 1982 GT all used that front facia.



At least that one has the cowl style Pace Car/80 Cobra hood, that tells me more than likely the car was originally a 4 cyl turbo Model, as does this picture of the interior...

which would explain the 302. It had to be a transplant because the V8 offered in 80 & 81 was the anemic 255.

As far as being a Cobra GT that is BS no such thing until the Canadian version of the Mustang GT.

As far as originality the body seams mostly un-molested. The spoiler is Original OEM for that model. the only body work I see that is not original is the side rocker skirt and lower rear valance add-on they look pretty ghetto to me.
I had to LOL at his comment "1991 GT power seats (not wired up) Rear recaro seat (needs cleaned)" The rear seat is NOT Recaro it is just covered to match! The original front seats may have been as they where a carry over option from the Pace Car and that rear seat matches the pace cars.

So the basic body and the basic Cobra interior trim items minus the front seats seam to be original. The engine, fuel cell, transmission, chopped in floor shifter and added skirting are not original.

Last edited by raven_ghostwolf; 12-25-2008 at 12:32 PM.
raven_ghostwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 12:40 PM   #8
symonds86
3rd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 835
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven_ghostwolf View Post
It is the correct nose for the 1980 Cobra, the 1979 Pace Car, 1980 - 81 Cobras and 1982 GT all used that front facia.



At least that one has the cowl style Pace Car/80 Cobra hood, that tells me more than likely the car was originally a 4 cyl turbo Model, as does this picture of the interior...

which would explain the 302. It had to be a transplant because the V8 offered in 80 & 81 was the anemic 255.

As far as being a Cobra GT that is BS no such thing until the Canadian version of the Mustang GT.

As far as originality the body seams mostly un-molested. The spoiler is Original OEM for that model. the only body work I see that is not original is the side rocker skirt and lower rear valance add-on they look pretty ghetto to me.
I had to LOL at his comment "1991 GT power seats (not wired up) Rear recaro seat (needs cleaned)" The rear seat is NOT Recaro it is just covered to match! The original front seats may have been as they where a carry over option from the Pace Car and that rear seat matches the pace cars.

So the basic body and the basic Cobra interior trim items minus the front seats seam to be original. The engine, fuel cell, transmission, chopped in floor shifter and added skirting are not original.
wow thats some good info, i dont think it "looks" like a bad deal in the photos, thats 1500 is what i paid for my 88 and that also had some ghettostyling like 18s and a wanna be custom dash
symonds86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 12:46 PM   #9
Explosive
Moderator
 
Explosive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,216
Default

That turbo badge looks like it was put on by someone else, telling me there is some BS going on with that car, here is a shot of my dash, notice how the turbo badge is closer to the left side ?




Another tid bit some people don't know, Cobras had an engine turn design on the dash plastic, notice it in the pic from our car I posted ? Look at the bucktag and it will tell you if it's a cobra.
Explosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 12:55 PM   #10
raven_ghostwolf
3rd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Arizona City, AZ
Posts: 936
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explosive View Post
That turbo badge looks like it was put on by someone else, telling me there is some BS going on with that car, here is a shot of my dash, notice how the turbo badge is closer to the left side ?




Another tid bit some people don't know, Cobras had an engine turn design on the dash plastic, notice it in the pic from our car I posted ? Look at the bucktag and it will tell you if it's a cobra.
Yours is a 79 they made a few changes to the 80, The 79 Pace Car also had the "engine turn" on the dash to be honest I can't remember if the 80 & 81 did or not. The buck tag is a good place to look forgot about that, I know the 79 I should have bought had MOON on it's buck tag (for the moon roof) can't remember if it said Cobra though. If it does that would be the only way to know for sure as the vin will tell you nothing.
raven_ghostwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Win $1500 Worth of RTR Parts - AmericanMuscle AMAlexLazarus AmericanMuscle.com 3 10-02-2015 08:06 AM
Hello, new user with an older Mustang and a question treesloth New Member Area 4 09-28-2015 07:03 AM
'02 Top quit working fastbackford351 Convertible Tech 5 09-27-2015 06:51 AM
First Impression 2015Ecoboost New Member Area 3 09-17-2015 01:48 PM
81 Mustang Ghia 2.3 Worth? showoffzx2 4 Cylinder NA and Turbo 6 09-14-2015 08:40 PM


Tags
1980, 302, 50, buck, cobra, decal, factory, interior, mustang, parts, real, sale, spoiler, svt, tag, turbo

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:34 AM.