5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Exhaust suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 10:24 PM
5.0stang123
2nd Gear Member

Default Exhaust suggestions

Hi guys I currently have stock headers and h pipe with cats removed and a older dynomax catback which I think are superturbo mufflers. i like the sound but I want something louder. I was seriously considering slp loudmouth 1 catback but every one says there bad so I dont know. I also was looking at pipes exhaust kit which ocmes with or x shorty headers and violater catback. Ive heard that pypes isnt good also though. I want something loud but also sounds good. Also Longtubes or shorttubes?
Old 12-28-2008, 10:26 PM
FORD TOUGH
4th Gear Member

The thrush chambered mufflers are just a very little bit quieter than no mufflers. They are only $30. You can get a free t-shirt if you buy them now too.

Last edited by FORD TOUGH; 12-28-2008 at 10:30 PM.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:31 PM
5.0stang123
2nd Gear Member

Ya but I want a whole exhaust kit
Old 12-28-2008, 10:35 PM
FORD TOUGH
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 5.0stang123
Ya but I want a whole exhaust kit
Why not just replace the mufflers if you have mandrel bent pipe and its not all rusted up.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:38 PM
5.0stang123
2nd Gear Member

Well the mufflers I have now are not a straight through so its got inlets on oppisite sides. Besides I wanted new tailpipes and there is osme rust on the piping.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:50 PM
FORD TOUGH
4th Gear Member

You can get mufflers with center inlet and center outlet
Old 12-29-2008, 12:38 AM
Explosive

Want loud eh ? We've got BBK long tubes, going to a BBK offroad H pipe going to dynomax race bullets with flowmaster tailpipes, and it's extremely loud,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsPGeW0C4UA
Old 12-29-2008, 01:53 AM
Slowstang357
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Explosive
Want loud eh ? We've got BBK long tubes, going to a BBK offroad H pipe going to dynomax race bullets with flowmaster tailpipes, and it's extremely loud,

hmm those do sound good.. there loud like my slp's but dont sound like ****. do you have the tailpipes on in that video? because there was a idle video of yours i watched and it was dumped at the axle i think..

do you have any in car vids at WOT?
Old 12-29-2008, 02:08 AM
Baddog
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Explosive

You have longtubes??? Why have I been told several times that if I wanted to go with longtubes I would have to be fitted with an expensive, custom made midpipe? I was under the impression that shorties are the only header that fits up true to an aftermarket O/R midpipe without having to have some custom weldwork done. If I'm way off please fill me in on what I'd need for longtubes keeping in mind I have a 1.5in drop with a very slight rake. Thanks...
Old 12-29-2008, 11:00 AM
saleenpride1986
2nd Gear Member

for example on the BBK website: "long tube headers direct bolt on replacement headers" "BBK full length headers require a BBK short X pipe or H pipe to complete installation to the cat-back exhaust system- see recommended additional parts"--->79-04 Mustang Exhaust H Mid Pipe With Converters. The companies that make the long tube headers normally will have also a mid-pipe (x pipe or h pipe, your preference) and fit up nice and snug with their accompanying headers. If you get a long tube header from same jba, then get a mid pipe from bbk it may not align or fit properly and would be a hassle and some more work will be required.

Expensive- mid ranged price, custom? definitely not. Ive seen many installations of long tubes and their accompanying mid pipe without customizing or welding any parts together to make it work. Thing that's great about it though, is the mid pipes have the option of having cats on them, which is pretty much pointless as just by installing long tubes makes smog checks fail, unless you have a "special friend" who will pass you!

Quick Reply: Exhaust suggestions