5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Wrecks and stories

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 11:24 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Default Wrecks and stories

Lets see and hear about those wrecks of yours or of your friends/family's stangs (unless you have a really bad story about something else).

This is my brothers 89 4 cyl notch he had, his first stang.

He was doing about 110 (yes in a 4 cyl) all pissed off and late for work when he was going around a curve and someone was comming the other way using up too much road and he had to get over to the right a little too far and caught some sand and over corrected and went into a ditch then flipped a couple of times and rolled a bunch, cops said at least 10 times. Luckily he was thrown from the car after the first couple of rolls. He crushed 3 vertebrae in his back but he did literally walk away.... he went and picked up his subs, cds, unplugged his fuel pump bc it was still running and flagged down someone before he collapsed. But he is still here, he is with me in my avatar. He is the reason I am into stangs so much.
Attached Thumbnails Wrecks and stories-craigs-4-cyl-wreck.jpg  
Old 01-03-2009, 07:13 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Over my lifetime I've been involved in 6 bad accidents two of them motorcycles, one Coswoth Chevy Vega (it was brand new) one Chevy Truck one Volvo and one of the dumbest accidents was of my own doing. I had built a 1970 Chevelle (not the one I speak of often) and had just built a stout 468 for it. It made about 700 hp and was to be pretty much a drag strip car. I had just finshed it up other than some of the interior work and a gear swap. It still had a set of 3:08 gears in the rear. I had driven the car around a little to check the brakes but had yet to tag and insure it. I had the roll cage finished but had yet to paint it so the car was still pretty raw. I strapped myself in and decided to get up to about 30 mph and really lay into it. I could look into the rear veiw and still see a pair of black marks behind me past 100 mph (Ive been past 100 enough to know I was within a few mph of it) and I just held it down on the two lane right down from my house.
The speed kept climbing and climbing until I started getting a bit nervous myself worried about a deer or such jumping out in front of me. It was early Sunday morning so there was no traffic so I just held it down. Then all at once the back of the steel hood came up about six (the front was pinned) and all at once all I saw was sky and then I was on the roof. The car had blown over. Then the car decided it wanted to roll on its side for awhile until an Oak tree led it into a spin while upside down once again. Then it bounced off a few more trees down one ditch and then the other and came to rest in the driveway of an elderly couple. I would say that I was doing somewhere in the area of 160-170 when it went over. The roll cage saved my life and I sufferded two broken arms and six broken ribs and right hip. The roll cage saved my life as well as the harness. I was surprized I lived through it without some sort of head injury although it's still hard to move my neck to the right very far. It's by far the dumbest thing I've ever done in my life. It's the only one I've been in that was my fault. My excuse to the police? I think a tornado hit me. I wasn't ticketed.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:49 AM
mustangsneverdie
5th Gear Member

my brother was driving a 1989 gt vert., 5 speed(that beast was bad).He was comin home from work and seen a rattlesnake layin in the road so he turned around to make sure it was dead cause there were kids that lived around there.He pulled into a driveway got out and seen that the snake was dead,so he hopped back in the car and started to back up and about that time a jeep cherokee come around a curve runnin about 80 mph.It t-boned him from the door back on the passenger side the top come over and hit him in the head and (he thinks)that when the jeep went over him that it hit him in the head too.I just got home from school and he called me and told me that he'd been in a wreck and told me where he was.I ran through the house and jumped in the car, hit the end of my road and by that time I was runnin about 30 when I slid it around hit the gas and it broke loose again(it had a c6 in it at the time).My other brother and my daddy were comin home from work,my dad was asleep when I passed them and he said what woke him up was a whoom(he thought something fell off the truck lol) when I passed them I was runnin about 140mph(somewhere in that area).Where he wrecked was about 10 or 12 mi. from the house and I got there in about 5.When I got to where he was this is what I seen

the passenger back tire was about 50 ft. from the car with the axle.The people in the jeep said they was runnin about 60 but I just don't believe it
Old 01-03-2009, 12:24 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

my dad told me the story of his old clunker '72 camaro he had in the '80s... straight 6 automatic...

he was driving somewhere in the rain going a lil to fast, and the car began to hydroplane... the car spun 180 degrees, hopped a curb and took out a park bench... my dad said the whole rear of the car was busted up.

later my dad had a lifted C10 Blazer in the '90s... thing had a 6 inch lift I think, and that was when we lived in the city... heh.. well, he was comin home from work one day and the master cylinder went out, on a hill... my dad tried everything to make the truck stop... he threw it in park, put the Ebrake on... the damn thing wouldnt come to a halt... and he was headed for a 3 way intersection... he somehow managed to rub the curb with the big ol 36' tires and hop over the sidewalk out of the way (no people on the corner) and the truck ground to a halt...

suprisingly, after he replaced the master cylinder the trans wasnt shot nor was the ebrake...

I myself hit two deer... one in the old beater the other in the stang...

the one with the beater, was doing about 55-60 and nailed the deer on the driver side of my car... destroyed the front fiberglass clip, and that was it... the deer I hit with the mustang I was going 25-30 and busted the pass side headlight..
Old 01-03-2009, 10:09 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Come on guys I know there are more wreck stories out there!
Old 01-03-2009, 10:31 PM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

when i was 12 my buddy and i thought it was a good idea to race the sentra around the corner of the house and up the driveway to see how fast we could get before the street. the fastest we ever got in the short period of time was 35. now being 12 we thought we were flying lol. anyway i was backing the car back down the driveway and around the corner of the house, i came to a stop and laid on the gas to go again however i forgot to put it in drive. i put the car under the deck and took out the lattis that surrounded the bottom half of the deck. thats my only wreck story oh and nothing happened to the car.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:50 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

I have one, not really a bad one, but it is a little funny now that I look back

I was 16, driving around in my 86 cavalier (first car) and my buddy, 16 also, was driving around in his Astro van. We were hitting all the dirt roads we could find, sliding corners (he was RWD) it was fun. Anyway, he decided to go down this unpaved, new development that dead ended, so I followed him in. It was awesome, it had a wide curve and loose gravel, you could really get sliding. So we made one pass thru it, got to the end, he spun a couple nuts and peeled out and I followed. At this point I thought I was the best driver in the world and decided to see how fast I could do it. I was running thru the right hand curve, steering around open man hole covers, when suddenly the back end of my car really swung out hard to the left, so I steered into it and the *** end swung out hard to the right, now I was doing about 30 and I slid right off the road into what I thought was a ditch. I tried to back out, but no luck, so I jump out and wave my buddy over to help pushed me off. As he came over he started laughing and pointing. So I get out and walk around to the passenger side of my car to see my front tire hanging over an now open drain hole. Upon further looking, my car was high centered on the drain cover that stuck up out of the ground (no pavement yet) So I was like, what do we do now.....I got it, lets use your van to push my off. So we lined our bumpers up and I run around to get into my car and get out of there and about this time, as memory recalls, a huge truck pulls up next to us, must have had 10" of lift in it, and 2 huge dudes jumped out yelling. One of these guys had to been at least 7' and the other wasn't far behind. Long haired, smoking cigars, big bushy beards....bad *** looking dudes. I guess they watched the whole thing and low and behold it is their private property, and they weren't happy. So here I am sitting in my car, just wanting to get the F out of there but my car is stuck and I think I just **** my pants no less. So after the screaming quit they decided to help get my car off the drain grate....and the F'n lifted to front of my car up and pushed it back. I was in aww. So now my car is free and rolling back wards from them, I give it a little gas and it wont move. I get out and see a line of some kind of red fluid pouring from my car, come to find out it is tranny fluid draining from the giant hole in my tranny pan...F'n great. So after they take our license info they let us go, but we had to leave the car there. me freaking out because I wasn't supposed to be out driving (just got the car, my Dad could be a *****) and now it is broke, I go thru all my options then finally decide to call my dad. He flipped out on me, then called a tow truck to go get it. So the truck came and got it, $160 later and a couple weeks of not driving, It was all better. SO that is my long, probably boring story....I think it is funny.

Last edited by 5.0stanger; 01-03-2009 at 10:54 PM.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:14 AM
PUDman
1st Gear Member

can't really tell you much about what happened. i was passenger in this '67 vette. witnesses say we were doing about 120 and veered off the freeway, rolling down an embankment about 400 ft side over side. the er doctors say that me being so drunk, and wearing a seatbelt saved my life. first time in my life i put one on. the driver was not drunk, and didn't make it. damn chevy's. thats why i gots me a 5.0

Old 01-04-2009, 12:20 AM
FORD TOUGH
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PUDman
can't really tell you much about what happened. i was passenger in this '67 vette. witnesses say we were doing about 120 and veered off the freeway, rolling down an embankment about 400 ft side over side. the er doctors say that me being so drunk, and wearing a seatbelt saved my life. first time in my life i put one on. the driver was not drunk, and didn't make it. damn chevy's. thats why i gots me a 5.0

You're luck to be alive
Old 01-04-2009, 12:21 AM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

^^^ Holy crap!!

Quick Reply: Wrecks and stories