5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Single or Twin turbo

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 06:56 PM
cch
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, it'll be a Coast High Performance Dominater block. And thanks for all the input guys, keep it up. So I assume another con for the twins would be the lack of room and necessity to do some cutting?
Old 01-04-2009, 07:13 PM
QuarterHorse00
1st Gear Member

There are no real draw backs with going either way, it's personal preference. There are single and twin set ups in all classes unless prohibited and either set up doing well.

In my opinion it's where you want to do your fab work. Do you want to do it before the turbo or before the t/b as far as getting each bank together.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:18 PM
cch
3rd Gear Member

"In my opinion it's where you want to do your fab work. Do you want to do it before the turbo or before the t/b as far as getting each bank together."

Sorry, I don't quite follow.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:24 PM
QuarterHorse00
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cch
"In my opinion it's where you want to do your fab work. Do you want to do it before the turbo or before the t/b as far as getting each bank together."

Sorry, I don't quite follow.

Do you want to connect the left and right side of the engine before it goes into a single turbo or do you want to do it before it goes into the intercooler...
Old 01-04-2009, 07:33 PM
cch
3rd Gear Member

Before it goes into the intercooler, I think... I'll be honest Quarter and say that I severely lack knowledge when it comes to detail. But that's why I'm reaching out and asking for info and ideas. Thanks
Old 01-05-2009, 12:04 AM
QuarterHorse00
1st Gear Member

I assume your building it from scratch not going with a kit? If building it from scratch it's really personal preference with the way turbo's are made and what you can buy. I don't have personal experience building a turbo set up like "lucky13" does on here so he'd be the guy. As far as I can see when I piece together a possible future kit in my head, it's all in where you want to spend your time fabricating. That is if your putting your own deal together..
Old 01-05-2009, 08:18 PM
cch
3rd Gear Member

Well, so far I've been looking at kits from Turbonetics and Hp Performance. I've found in past experiences (in my cases anyhow), that by the time you get everything pieced together and try to work out the kinks for several years, you could do it just as cheap by buying a kit and plus it normally looks a lot better.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:42 PM
QuarterHorse00
1st Gear Member

It all depends on your fab skills. A friend of mine has a turbo build on here that he's in for DIRT cheap.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:22 PM
cch
3rd Gear Member

True! I've got a pretty mean touch with a grinder and have done a lot with fiberglass, but my welding skills and metal work are nothing to be desired. None the less, any other turbo opinions?
Old 01-07-2009, 11:38 AM
dillon1340
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cch
Well, if the next couple fishing seasons can treat me well, I'm planning on slapping in a turbo 418 stroker in the notchback. But that leaves me to question between a big single or small twins. I understand the principles of how a turbo works, but lack knowledge when it comes to the difference between the two or the pros and cons of either. Not a DD, but gonna keep it a streetcar and hit the track 2-3 times a year. Hoping to have about 1000 ponies at the crank when all is said and done. So, what's your thoughts for my application?

Thanks guys!
what do you mean by "if the next couple of fishing seasons can treat me well" ? are you a professional fisherman? like on the outdoor channel?

Quick Reply: Single or Twin turbo