5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

DIY paint matching for cheap w/pics

Old 01-04-2009, 10:48 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

Default DIY paint matching for cheap w/pics

well i got tired of having a two tone mustang. the white hood and silver body wasnt doing it for me. on top of that a buddy of mine would always tell me my stang looked like a ricer with fiberglass on it that didnt match the rest of the body. so i got $50 worth of sand paper, primer, paint and clear coat. my neighbor across the street gave me a hand and we did it about as ghetto as possible.

before paint

hanging it from a tree, about as ghetto as you can get

cant see any blotchiness in the sunlight

the camera flash makes the paint look really blotchy. in the day light you cant see any of the blotchiness. its not perfect but the car has original paint from 1992 so the imperfections in the paint on the hood just makes it look that much more original

the only downside is that the 4" cowl hood now looks more like a 2" because it blends in with the rest of the car.

Last edited by luckythirteen13; 01-04-2009 at 10:52 PM.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:52 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

HHAHAHA LOL

love the tree maneuver...very "hood" like, or ghetto as you kids say these days.

no pun intended....maybe...
Old 01-04-2009, 11:28 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

there for a little bit i thought you were going to primer the whole car....

i dont think the hood looks that bad
Old 01-05-2009, 01:15 AM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

How many coats? Whats up with the 67/68 Cougar?

Last edited by 83gtragtop; 01-05-2009 at 01:18 AM.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:30 AM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

2 coats of primer, 3 coats of paint and then 2 clear.

the cougar belongs to a buddy of mine. as it sits in that picture it had a 460BBF with a 200 shot of juice, c6 tranny, 9" rear with spool. unfortunately my buddy is retarded. i had never been in a nitrous car so i asked him to take me for a ride. he has no purge on the kit so he purged it into the motor at idle. the first time, no problem, we turn the corner still idling and he does it again, no problems. i said, i think its good lets go for a ride, he said no he had to do it one more time. hit the nitrous button and BOOM, clack clack clack clack and more white smoke then ive ever seen in my life surounds the car. blew a huge hole through one of the cylinders and destroyed that piston. what makes it worse is he was afraid to drive it home on seven cylinders so he left it at my house for a month and about 3 times a week he would come by, fire the car up (with water in the oil) and full throttle the thing all over my neighborhood. when we finally took the motor apart the pan was full of brownish/grew sludge. the oil and coolant mixed up something awful. it currently has a full fiberglass front end, plexy glass windows and no motor. itll never run again. my buddy (who i now, no longer talk to) got hooked on oxycotton and can barely function.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:15 AM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by luckythirteen13
2 coats of primer, 3 coats of paint and then 2 clear.

the cougar belongs to a buddy of mine. as it sits in that picture it had a 460BBF with a 200 shot of juice, c6 tranny, 9" rear with spool. unfortunately my buddy is retarded. i had never been in a nitrous car so i asked him to take me for a ride. he has no purge on the kit so he purged it into the motor at idle. the first time, no problem, we turn the corner still idling and he does it again, no problems. i said, i think its good lets go for a ride, he said no he had to do it one more time. hit the nitrous button and BOOM, clack clack clack clack and more white smoke then ive ever seen in my life surounds the car. blew a huge hole through one of the cylinders and destroyed that piston. what makes it worse is he was afraid to drive it home on seven cylinders so he left it at my house for a month and about 3 times a week he would come by, fire the car up (with water in the oil) and full throttle the thing all over my neighborhood. when we finally took the motor apart the pan was full of brownish/grew sludge. the oil and coolant mixed up something awful. it currently has a full fiberglass front end, plexy glass windows and no motor. itll never run again. my buddy (who i now, no longer talk to) got hooked on oxycotton and can barely function.
Man I opened a can of worms. I'm sorry to hear about you buddy man.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:11 AM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

its looks like you were using spray paint in one the pics
Old 01-05-2009, 04:53 AM
BladeX10
2nd Gear Member

Im about to do the same to my hood.. right now i got a red/black hood on a white exterior.. looks gay as hell.. lol. Its a stock hood so im just going to rattle can it white.. hopefully it comes out decent
Old 01-05-2009, 10:14 AM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TrimDrip
its looks like you were using spray paint in one the pics
the whole thing was done with spray paint bought from pep boys.

83gtragtop, no worries dude. he was a nice guy who just made too many bad decisions, he brought it all on himself
Old 01-05-2009, 10:19 AM
aode08
5th Gear Member

Good job on the hood.

whats up with that front bumper cover? you drilled 5-6 large holes on the face of it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY paint matching for cheap w/pics