MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-general-discussion-87/)
-   -   shorty or long tube headers (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-general-discussion/510374-shorty-or-long-tube-headers.html)

ctlazersplaya07 01-13-2009 04:40 PM

shorty or long tube headers

i have a couple of questions in this thread but one main one. i have a 1995 mustang gt with a cold air intake, a pro products 75mm throttle body, an o/r bbk x-pipe and flowmaster 4 series mufflers. i am going to put in a trick flow street heat intake manifold. how much hp should i be pushing before a tune and after a tune if i was willing to spend around 500 bucks for a chip? now, if i wanted to add headers to my mod list, should i go with shorties or long tube? what kind of headers come stock, long or shorties? is it something i could do myself or do i have to send it to a shop?

Liquid_02 01-13-2009 04:45 PM

Come with shorties stock. It all depends on how much you want to spend. Longtubes are couple hundred more generally, then you have to get your exhaust done, among some fitment problems you'll encounter. Shorties generally bolt right in. Long tubes are definately the way to go if you have the money and patience to deal with them. I put Hooker SuperComps on mine

1988TTOP 01-13-2009 04:45 PM

shorty from factory shorties r easy and longs r a little harder i like long tube but if u go with long tubes u will need a new x or h pipe

ctlazersplaya07 01-13-2009 06:34 PM

so if i go with shorty what kind of sound difference and performance difference will i notice?

94ford5liter 01-13-2009 08:21 PM

I recommend short tubes from previous experience with longtubes on a 94 gt. Unless u have a tuner that really knows what they are doing, the car will have constant idle issues. With longtubes the 02 sensors are further away from the engine so the 02 sensor exhaust phase timing has to be changed in the computer. Longtubes definitely make significantly more power, but with the idle problem I don't think it is worth it.

minnow81469 01-13-2009 10:54 PM

The idle shouldnt be a problem i had them on mine and i didnt have a problem with the idle but putting them on though it was frustrating at times. the stock headers are shorties but go with the long tubes bbk are good and they are like 400-500 and then another 160 for the h or x pipe. as for the tune it never hurts to get the thing tuned it will always help the performance if your going to put on the tfs track heat intake id get the kit with the heads and cam so u can do it at once and its cheaper in the long run im kicking myself in the teeth for not doing it when i had the money

FORD TOUGH 01-13-2009 11:35 PM

With long tube's you will need a new x pipe and they will make it harder to work on (like replacing a starter). Shorties will bolt right up to the stock pipe.

saleenpride1986 01-14-2009 12:41 AM

with long tubes you can't pass smog, if you are concerned about that, which no one ever seems to chip in when deciding which type of header to get..

minnow81469 01-14-2009 12:45 AM

Lol I forgot you all have emissions to worry bout no worries here in iowa

pastfast125 01-14-2009 02:13 AM

off topic, but where in Iowa are ya?