5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

anyone else have a parts car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 12:32 AM
ponyponer
2nd Gear Member

Default anyone else have a parts car?

just wondering if anyone else has one. i'm also curious to see exactly what parts people will swap, and what parts they will just replace with something new. i have a 90 lx that i actually got for a hundred bucks from an impound yard almost 3 years ago long story. i actually know the guy who had it before it was impounded.

it had 147k miles on it, and i haven't really used too much from it. i have used a tps, and maf sensor, and power window swithches, and window motor which went a few months after that, and i had to buy brand new ones anyway. i also used an ignition modual which i know is not the original motorcraft one. when the motor seized on my 93 i didn't swap it out cause it had 147k miles, and i figured i'd just buy a remanufactured long block. i also would not use the alternator, sterring rack or water pump cause i know they're rebuilts, and he was famous for using rebuilt parts from pep boys. i wouldn't use the thermostat cause i'm pretty sure it was the original. recently i have been thinking about maybe eventually putting it on the road, but the body is getting rusted. not badly, but more than a little bit. i ran it a few times 3 years ago, and drove it around a block. eventually the battery died, and i took out the ignition modual, and put it in my glove box for a spare, and changed it out when the one on my 93 eventually went.

so anyone else have one? if so what would/have you use[d]? do you just keep them for doors, and cosmetic parts like griills, hoods, etc?
Old 01-14-2009, 02:21 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

I'd use everything possible to save money (except little things like the thermostat)
The engine probably still had many miles left on it. 147k isn't really that much as long as it wasn't ran without oil at one point.I would let it sit and take as needed or strip everything off that is pretty much bolted on and either try selling some of it or putting it in storage for later usage.

But keep in mind I love junk yard performance, just because its in the yard and the car look like chit doesn't mean that the parts are too
Old 01-14-2009, 11:33 PM
ponyponer
2nd Gear Member

yup i got no problem with that. i've used junk yard parts many times. i just bought a new remanufactured one cause i thought i would probably get more out of it than the 147k motor. i've thought about rebuilding that one, and selling it. there is nothing wrong with that at least there didn't seem to be when i ran it which was almost 3 years ago. i could probably make a profit if i rebuilded, and sold rather than selling as is. the car was pretty much abandoned, and got impounded. the guy i knew who owned it was arrested, and just left everything cause he skipped his court date, and fled. the house was going into foreclosure so his brother who owned half the house put it on the market, and had to clear everything out.

i worked out a deal with the tow truck driver. he told me to follow him to the impound yard, and i slipped him a hundred. borrowed a trailer from a friend, and kept it in a buddys yard until another buddy opened up a garage, and i keep it in the yard there. i can't seem to find the title for it though. the ball joints and control arm bushings on my 93 seem to be shot, and i won't take them off the other car cause they don't look any better. parts like that you just don't switch out unless they are fairly new. sometimes i often think about maybe putting it on the road. it just needs an ignition modual, tps, mafs, battery, and drain the fluids, and gas, and refill, and it's good.