5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Who is running a Glide???

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 07:35 AM
hillbilly pony
3rd Gear Member

Default Who is running a Glide???

was curious who is running a powerglide in their fox. Can someone give me the breakdown on Flywheels bell housing adapters etc. Also what did you do to your crossmember...pictures are helpful...

Thanks
Old 01-14-2009, 12:48 PM
mustangsneverdie
5th Gear Member

why would you want to put a chevy trans in it any way put a c6 in it
Old 01-14-2009, 02:08 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangsneverdie
why would you want to put a chevy trans in it any way put a c6 in it

Glides are a great race tranny. Very light, can be built strong and only two speeds, also less drivetrain loss. A c-6 would be my last option,,heavy and more drivetrain loss than a well built c-4.

OP...sorry i have no info on the subject...harcore50 or sbftech might be a good place to ask if you dont get much info on the subject here.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:59 PM
mustangsneverdie
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WhiteWindsor
Glides are a great race tranny. Very light, can be built strong and only two speeds, also less drivetrain loss. A c-6 would be my last option,,heavy and more drivetrain loss than a well built c-4.

If he's got all that power I wouldn't worry about weight and a well built c-4 is gonna put a dent in your pocket when all you should have to do is just bolt the c-6 up to the block
Old 01-14-2009, 04:46 PM
ACE
4th Gear Member

Small block c6s are not a cheap thing anymore and the extra weight of them doesnt make sense to use one. A glide is light and you smash the stick ONCE and hold on. Just my opinion though. If it is an all out race car glide is the way to go!
Old 01-14-2009, 04:53 PM
mustangsneverdie
5th Gear Member

I have one in my back yard still connected to the motor in the backyard
when I got to the 460 in my 85 it's gonna have a c6 behind it
Old 01-14-2009, 04:55 PM
hillbilly pony
3rd Gear Member

It is an all out race car...i have found some adapter plates and bellhousings but i read someone on here was running one without a converter??? curious about that and also looking for some specific mods for the cross member. BUT 2 speeds better that 3. I got plenty of torque and those Low gear C4 and C6 wheel stands are pretty but a 1.0 (dreaming) 60ft time is much better than a pretty wheel stand....lol
Old 01-14-2009, 07:13 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Clutch PowerGlides are pretty much a dirt track thing. I'd buy a JW Powerglide with a brake and One of their SFI bellhousings in a 2500 lb or less car it's the chit. Summit carries all the stuff you need.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:33 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangsneverdie
If he's got all that power I wouldn't worry about weight and a well built c-4 is gonna put a dent in your pocket when all you should have to do is just bolt the c-6 up to the block
The C6 is an excellant transmission. I have one in my car. I'm not worried about the 28 hp loss and the extra weight over the C4. It weighs about the same as an AOD, That said I WOULD NEVER PUT A C6 IN A FOX BODY MUSTANG AGAIN BEHIND ANYTHING LESS THAT A 429. If you want some real fitment issues using a real set of headers that the transmission to use. Can you say Lack of clearance? I had to pull the header of 3 times to get the shifter cable and bracket just right. I was so aggrivated I almost picked up the phone and called PA performance to get a transmission. If I didn't have a Tubular K member in the car I would have already had that trans on Ebay. If something happens to it (which I doubt) you can bet a C4 will go back in it. I love the C6. I just don't love it with large tube headers. Off the shelf headers are very slim in selection and very expensive. Custom headers are 1200 dollars. I blew it out my azz on that trans selection. Once I'm finished I won'tr be so aggrivated with it but if I have to pull those freaking headers one more time I'm going to put some out of the hood zoomies on it. Better rethink that C6 decision.
Here you go, Took this the other day while I was pissed off, lol

Because a C6 has the wide starter bolt pattern how well do you think a regular starter would survive next to those headers?

Last edited by Portmaster; 01-14-2009 at 07:40 PM.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:00 AM
mustangsneverdie
5th Gear Member

we're gonna be runnin the stock manifolds on the car

Quick Reply: Who is running a Glide???